Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Sigma Malfunction

I purchased a Sigma 9mm earlier this year. Cleaned it, put 250 rounds through it and then put it away. Several months later (yesterday), I took it to the range once more. I was shooting WWW and the trigger pull became more difficult with each round. At round six, the trigger pull was so heany that the gun did not discharge.

I swapped out magazines and the process repeated itself --trigger pull became heavier with each round until the gun did not discharge. At home, I field stripped the gun, blew it out with my air compressor, sprayed it down with Breakfree CLP and let it sit overnight,

Today, I wiped it down, reassembled the gun and took it to the range. It operated flawlessly. Later, I called S&W customer service and asked them as to what could have been the cause of yesterday's malfunction. He would not even venture a guess. He just said that if it happens again, I should return the gun to S&W for evaluation.

Do you have an idea as to what may have caused yesterday's malfunction?
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

(York County)

Default Re: Sigma Malfunction

I have a sigma 40S&W. I haven't had this problem but I have heard that the sigmas don't like alot of oil. In the manual it only calls for 4 drops. Maybe carbon buildup if you had to much oil on it. Just my guess

(Lawrence County)

Dirty. Hose it out with Ronsonal Lighter fluid.

Go shooting.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(York County)

Yeh ive never had a problem with mine I have several thou rounds thru it and use very little oil , my slide is always smooth as glass and so is my trigger .... just keeps going and going never had one hiccup

(Chester County)

I'd look in the striker channel for debris.

You'll have to take the rear cover off the back of the slide, then remove the striker. A q-tip should get in there just fine.

(Allegheny County)

Eh, trade it in and get a glock.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Luzerne County)

I hsve no idea as to what it could have been but, I have 1 question :

1) Do you use this gun as a self protection gun either cc or a bedroom gun, or is it only a range gun?

If it was me I would get rid of it if you lost any faith in the gun. I had a problem with a colt mustang pocketlight I was cc and it failed at the range. I will say this, colt customer service was wonderfull and the gun was repaired in 3 days but, I lost faith in the gun and traded it in 2 days later. I am not saying that colt would fail again but, I lost faith in it........Joe

(York County)

Not Suprised. I worked in retail selling firearms until not to long ago and had tons of problems with the Sigmas. Even owned one myself for about a month before I ditched it. Spend the extra $$ and purchase an M&P if you want a S&W. I know a lot of people buy the Sigma's because they are relatively cheap, but you get what you pay for.

(Monroe County)

I have a sigma. It was ok when i bought it used then it started to jam quite a bit. I think i was using too much oil when cleaning it. I now rarely clean it and it has since stopped jamming. I use it in IDPA and it has not jammed once in competition. My two cents get a glock.... The price is never right.

PS - before i get burned for not cleaning it I am trying to shoot it into the ground so to speak to justify getting a glock. The trouble is it hasnt quit yet.

(Monroe County)

I bought one in 40 S&W and while it worked it had a lousy trigger pull and was inaccurate, dumped it quickly. I have been burned by S&W over the years several times and now would only by older used revolvers made by them no pistols ever again or for that matter a new gun. I have always tried to buy American but will not be shafted by anyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast