Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Why isn't there (or is there) a way

for an individual to check his own record via PASP so that he can purchase a firearm? Filling out a 4473, subjecting ones self to PICS then being denied can be serious crime. I know that most folks who have prohibiting convictions know it and would be foolish to try. There seems to be a lot of gray areas though, eg 302, tiered DUI, domestic violence etc that could prohibit and leave an applicant in a bad situation if denied. I don't think an individual with doubts would mind paying a fee to know "for sure" before attempting a purchase. The PICS check is an easy thing to do (for an FFL) and would provide a Y/N answer. If NO then it would be up to the individual secure an attorney and persue it with PASP. Thoughts?

Bob D

(Berks County)

Default Re: Why isn't there (or is there) a way

This is the PA State Police record check system. Might be of some help. And its only 10 bucks. No record, it prints up the results on the spot. If a record, it will tell you and send you the results in 2-3 weeks.

https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp
    gotta love her ;)

Default Re: Why isn't there (or is there) a way

Sending in for an Access and Review would be better than a regular PASP check because a PASP check won't show juvenile adjudications that may be prohibitors. Furthermore, juvenile adjudications in PA are only prohibtors under state law but not federal. Also, there is no sure fire way to know if you have an involuntary commitment on your record in PA. It is a really shitty mess and I almost wonder if our loving gov't just likes to set up people for failure. I agree that people should know what is on their adult criminal record but than there are grey areas like juvenile adjudications and mental health commitments. The PICS form is no help either. For example I have a juvenile adjudication on my record that prohibits me until I am 30. However, if you read the PICS form it seems vague on the issue. On the second page it is asked if a person has been adjudicated delinquent within the past 10 years but on the 3rd page it states that certain adjudications carry a lifetime ban while other only prohibit someone until they are 30. WTF?