Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AR15- who makes what?

I am looking for an AR but it looks like there dozens of companies out there. Are there any companies that are affiliates of larger, more popular ones? In other words, does Colt or Bushmaster or Armalite produce weapons under any other brand names or lines?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: AR15- who makes what?

Quote Originally Posted by rtmurray View Post
    I am looking for an AR but it looks like there dozens of companies out there. Are there any companies that are affiliates of larger, more popular ones? In other words, does Colt or Bushmaster or Armalite produce weapons under any other brand names or lines?
    As far as I know, and I have done plenty of reserch on AR's, their are no big name manufactures that produce under different names. Like Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite, Rock River, LMT, LWRC. They all produce their own firearms with their names on them.

What exactly are you looking for in an AR?
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

Nothing real fancy, tactical, or anything like that. Just a reliable weapon that can be used for hog hunting. I'd like to put a mid-priced Leupold optic on it. Something fairly accurate but nothing crazy.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by RONNIE77 View Post
    As far as I know, and I have done plenty of reserch on AR's, their are no big name manufactures that produce under different names. Like Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite, Rock River, LMT, LWRC. They all produce their own firearms with their names on them.
    Well, that's kind of true. CMT has made the receivers for RRA, Stag and Colt.....many manufacturers use the same parts. Several large names use Wilson barrels for example.

I think Eagle may have been a subsidiary of Armalite, but I'm not sure.

Lycansomedomaketheirownpartsthoughthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Berks County)

(York County)

And I think RRA or Stag , cant remember wich one, was making S&W for them but not sure they are anymore , I dont think so. There are alot of good ones out there as said above Ide be looking at DPMS , RRA , Bushmaster , LMT , Colt , Smith , Stag

A number of "manufacturers", and I do not have a complete list of them, are in fact resellers. An unnamed company makes the component(s) and the reseller puts their name on it.

(Philadelphia County)

I love the AR platform. I bought my first one (DPMS panther flat top $919.00). I shot the hell out of it, took it apart and put back together countless times, basically just got very familiar with it. Now I am building two more, and it is allot of fun.
    If you want to put optics on it, I would suggest that you get a flat-top model. You can buy or build a Del-ton for about $700-$800, and they are pretty good. I all depends on how much you are looking to spend. Their is a hell of a selection out there, just do your reserch. You won't be disappointed either way.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 40twist View Post
    And I think RRA or Stag , cant remember wich one, was making S&W for them but not sure they are anymore , I dont think so. There are alot of good ones out there as said above Ide be looking at DPMS , RRA , Bushmaster , LMT , Colt , Smith , Stag
    it was stag who made S&W's ARs. i also think S&W has brought much of it in house now, though.

as refered to above, stag is the retail outlet of CMT. CMT makes many of the parts that go into many other brands of ARs.

imho, it is hard to beat stag for the money. a very high quality AR for a very reasonable price. but, there are many good quality ARs made by a number of different companies.

(if money were no factor, i would prolly choose colt. but, colts are significantly more expensive, and i'm not sure the extra price is worth it for civlian use.)

(Cumberland County)

Like someone mentioned above I also have a DPMS Panther flat top, it is great for optics, but I am now buildeing a PAFOA AR with the Anvil Arms lower and the Del-Ton upper...should come out around $600 done and from what everyone that has built one is telling me, it should be a pretty good rifle.
    "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"A Canadian is sort of like an American, but without the gun"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast