Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default Don't load that in front of the officers......

I'm having breakfast today and watching & re-watching the many OC videos on youtube......

Occasionally, a gun is taken during the encounter(officer safety). After then encounter, the gun is returned and the OCer instructed to "not load" the gun until officers leave.

I personally would announce in a loud clear voice that I am loading my weapon- DP NOT SHOOT ME and chamber it while pointing it down and standing it off from holster position.

Maybe it's me, but that command not to load pisses me off more than anything......

Thoughts?
    With great power comes great responsibility....

Default Re: Don't load that in front of the officers......

If there is a law stating you cant load a pistol in front of a cop, then don't.
    If there isn't a law, load away. Simple as that?

(Lancaster County)

I wouldn't. I think taking the gun during the encounter is unsafe, clearing the gun is unsafe (possible unfamiliarity), so I won't add to it by acting out.

I look at it this way, if a cop has gone that far, he's going to appear an idiot if he allows you to load up and something goes sideways.

(Allegheny County)

If they were justified in removing the pistol from the person to begin with, wouldn't this be justification in possibly taking the incident that much further? Articulation is the police officer's friend, not yours.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    If they were justified in removing the pistol from the person to begin with, wouldn't this be justification in possibly taking the incident that much further? Articulation is the police officer's friend, not yours.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    Except that this response assumes that the officer had a justification to remove the firearm in the first place. How many incidents have we seen where the firearm is removed for "officer safety ", or to run the serial number to make sure the gun is "registered" to the carrier, with no other justification present?
    Last edited by staylo; September 15th, 2015 at 08:47 AM.
    “A Republic, if you can keep it.” - Benjamin Franklin

(Delaware County)

Just take it as an opportunity to say a few words.

"Oh, so it's okay for you to fiddle with my gun, take it from my holster without my permission, and unload it in front of God and everybody else, but now that you've given it back to me, it's unsafe to handle? Have you lost your mind?"

I haven't had my pistol "temporarily relieved from me for officer safety" in quite some time - in fact, the last time was the Philly encounter in 2011, if memory serves - but I've been holding onto that line ever since.

Edited to add - The other one - I had it on the tip of my tongue that day but kept it to myself - is, "you unloaded it in front of me - one good turn only deserves another."
    Last edited by ViperGTS19801; September 15th, 2015 at 09:23 AM.
    Junior

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by staylo View Post
    Except that this response assumes that the officer had a justification to remove the firearm in the first place. How many incidents have we seen where the firearm is removed for "officer safety ", or to run the serial number to make sure the gun is "registered" to the carrier, with no other justification present?
    How many have you seen, personally? Now, I'm only 30, and have only had interactions with police officers a handful of times during traffic stops, but this has never happened to me. I've also been employed as an LEO for 7 years now and have never done this, nor have I seen a fellow officer do this.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by 305tillimove View Post
    This.
    If they had that justification, and still had justification to "take it further" (which I guess means blow you away), then why the fuck would they give you your gun back? I think that's a pretty clear line of evidence that they have no justification to take anything further.

But cops gonna cop. And we all know that, from time to time, law abiding civilians are called upon to make the ultimate sacrifice so that cops can feel safe.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger P229 View Post
    How many have you seen, personally? Now, I'm only 30, and have only had interactions with police officers a handful of times during traffic stops, but this has never happened to me. I've also been employed as an LEO for 7 years now and have never done this, nor have I seen a fellow officer do this.
    Is the observation only valid if it's me personally involved, or do all the videos of encounters, and first-hand stories posted here by those who have been personally involved where it has happened suffice?
    “A Republic, if you can keep it.” - Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast