Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Don't load that in front of the officers......

If in the small chance I was ever disarmed for officer safety, As soon as my weapon was returned to me I would go back to my car, reload, re-holster and go about my business. That is if I wasn't accidentally shot as my weapon was removed from my holster, fumbled with or dropped two times. I know allot of officers and some are not what you would call very familiar with different types of weapons. A great many of them hardly go to the range and their own weapons are dust bunny and rust afflicted. I would like to think that a majority of LEO's know the safest place for a law abiding citizens weapons is in the holster and not on the hood of the card disassembled in some power trip display.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    We've all seen the videos.. An officer yells "GUN!", they all start shooting(mob mentality). Do you feel lucky? ...and officer tells you not to load the gun, then you go and do it - what the fuck do you think THEY are going to think?

Sometimes you're just best off complying. Waiting for them to leave really doesn't expose you to the possibility of harm to yourself by a 3rd party(they are there too). It only takes a couple moment to reload anyways.
    If you were an off duty cop, would you comply with that unlawful command/demand?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    If you were an off duty cop, would you comply with that unlawful command/demand?
    Yep because the on-duty cop has the authority at the moment. . ..and I've seen off-duty cops shot just the same and regular Joe Schmo's.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

I can't think of a bigger insult than being told "Yeah, you have a legally owned firearm (we just ran it through our registration database) and you have a license to carry which means you aren't prohibited, but you know what motherfucker - I don't trust you."

That's what they are saying when they tell you not to load it until they leave.

Fuck you asshole.

(Beaver County)

Well you could ask the cop to provide you protection while you reloaded. That's what they do "protect and serve".

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Yep because the on-duty cop has the authority at the moment. . ..and I've seen off-duty cops shot just the same and regular Joe Schmo's.
    As I posted earlier, I didn't know there was a law stating someone couldn't load a magazine in front of a cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger P229 View Post
    I think it's easy to use YouTube as a way to facilitate development of a highly skewed world view. If I watched videos all day made by people who seriously believe the world as we know it will end in the next few months, I may start to see that as a legitimate reality instead of looking around me at what is actually happening the my world, and the world of people I know. You could very easily watch a bunch of negative OC encounters online, form the opinion that cops are all pricks that have a problem with OC'ers, and that its "is against them", without ever having a single experience to validate that. You would be cherry picking a small amount of encounters that other people video tapes and making an assumption of that, with zero evidence to back it up. I think there are more than a few members here who do exactly that in reference to their feelings regarding LEO's.
    Sure, YouTube is a great resource, but don't let it trick you into believing something.

Wow, this must be a tender subject for you. You projected a lot of things into my post that just aren't there. SteelCityK9Cop responded to the OP with this comment:

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    If they were justified in removing the pistol from the person to begin with, wouldn't this be justification in possibly taking the incident that much further? Articulation is the police officer's friend, not yours.
    Which appeared to me to be assuming that there was justification for taking the pistol or else it wouldn't have been taken. To which I replied:

Quote Originally Posted by staylo View Post
    Except that this response assumes that the officer had a justification to remove the firearm in the first place. How many incidents have we seen where the firearm is removed for "officer safety ", or to run the serial number to make sure the gun is "registered" to the carrier, with no other justification present?
    My comment was simply pointing out that pistols get taken without justification so one cannot automatically assume that the seizure was justified. I don't believe it is an unreasonable position to take having come to that conclusion based on video evidence(which you conceded there is a "bunch" of), and first hand experiences of members of this forum, one of whom posted in this very thread. I'm not sure how you jumped from that to me having a "highly skewed world view", to me having the opinion "that cops are all pricks that have a problem with OC'ers", and to me getting "tricked into believing something". With all the evidence out there one simply cannot say that these incidents never happen. Since that is a fact, I stand by my original statement in response to SteelCityK9Cop. If he(and presumably you) are not like that then I hope it's one of you two at my window if I ever get stopped while carrying and not one of the officers in the videos.
    “A Republic, if you can keep it.” - Benjamin Franklin

It's never happened to me, but I've thought about it a lot. If I were asked to surrender my firearm to a LEO "for his/her protection", I'd inform him/her, "OK officer. I'll remove my holster with the gun in it, so neither of us are handling a loaded firearm unnecessarily. That's how accidents happen."

I wonder how that'd go.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    It's never happened to me, but I've thought about it a lot. If I were asked to surrender my firearm to a LEO "for his/her protection", I'd inform him/her, "OK officer. I'll remove my holster with the gun in it, so neither of us are handling a loaded firearm unnecessarily. That's how accidents happen."

I wonder how that'd go.
    I've thought about it too and I would have them remove it. I'm not reaching anywhere near my gun while "not being trusted"

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    As I posted earlier, I didn't know there was a law stating someone couldn't load a magazine in front of a cop.
    And there is no law against being stupid or doing stupid things - but either of which can have ramifications.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast