Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Critical Mass cyclist Assaulted by NYPD

~Kimber Eclipse Ultra II 45ACP ~Walther P22 stainless ~Bersa Thunder .380 ~Taurus .38 Special ~Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm ~Marlin 30-30 lever action ~Marlin .22~

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Critical Mass cyclist Assaulted by NYPD

WTF!? I hope that officer loses his job.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Beaver County)

I saw this story on comcast.net and I listened to the news report. Apparently the officer is on desk duty and, get this, the guy on the bike got charged with several crimes including obstructing traffic in the heart of Times Square and resisting arrest. Go figure.

~Kimber Eclipse Ultra II 45ACP ~Walther P22 stainless ~Bersa Thunder .380 ~Taurus .38 Special ~Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm ~Marlin 30-30 lever action ~Marlin .22~

(Chester County)

I hope that cop loses his job and gets his ass sued off. He could have KILLED that cyclist! FOR WHAT!! For nothing other than he was the one chosen for that cop to vent his rage on.

I saw numerous other cyclists ride past before and after the cop decked that rider.

I F***ing hate New York.
    Μολὼν λάβε

can't really make a judgement call until I see what happened on the other side of the camera... But that cop has for sure used that move before

xdniceform45

(Pike County)

Critical Mass is one of the most annoying things in the world. It is not an excuse for what that officer did though. He has already lost his job over that incident. What a stupid thing to do, assault someone on a bike with the possibility of seriously injuring them. Not only that but in Times Square NYC in front of a camera. Even if that camera wasn't there, did he really think he was going to get away with it? Critical Mass has been going on for years and to do something like that and not think there would be serious repurcussions shows some serious lack of judgment.

Nice open field hit though, just in time for training camp. If you have ever been caught driving during a Critical Mass you may find a small smile creeping to your lips...

(Allegheny County)

it is impossible to judge this incident without knowing what happened off camera in the moments leading up to what you see.

the officer was clearly zeroing in on that individual. it was not a case of deck a random cyclist.

so, the question is...why did that officer zero in on that cyclist?

since the cyclist is being charge with a couple things including resisting arrest, it may well be the case that the cyclist did something else off camera...another officer tried to arrest/cite him...he resisted (possibly assaulting the other officer in the process)...and tood off.

the officer on the video saw it and gave back up to the other officer by apprehending the fugitive cyclist.

if that's what happened, for example, he was completely justified, imho.

heck, the cyclist might have just run over a little kid or something.

until we know, you can't really make a fair judgement.

(keep in mind that these critical mass cyclists are not known for having much respect for traffic laws and the like. nor do they "share the road"...they hijack it. it is not at all unlikely that something happened off camera that justifies what you see on camera.)

ETA: also, according to the article i read, the officer did not lose his job...he has just been assigned to desk duty pending the results of an investigation...pretty standard stuff. of course, things may have progressed since that article.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; July 29th, 2008 at 11:52 PM.

(Luzerne County)

I agree with earlier statements about not being able to fully judge this video. I would like to know the full context about what was going on not only off camera, but what was going on both before and after this particular video clip.

For example, why in the hell were two police officers standing in the farking middle of the street forcing a bunch of bicycle riders to swerve around them? To me, it looks as if that police officer was trying to get back to the side of the street and he suddenly stopped because it appears that cyclist was heading right for him. You can visibly see that cyclist swerve more to the left to avoid running into the officer, and shortly afterward the officer begins walking again and body checks the cyclist onto the curb. Was this some sort of “almost assaulting and officer” takedown?

(Philadelphia County)

Bizarre. I would like to know if there was a verbal exchange between the two. It would not surprise me if the cyclist provoked the cop somehow, not that it would justify getting thrown off his bike.

(Delaware County)

wtf...uncalled for.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast