Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default School me on the SCAR 17

Just ordered a FN SCAR 17 today, and it should be at my FFL Friday or Saturday. So I'll be shooting it this weekend, even picked up some Perfecta 308 Winchester ammunition (everything I've read so far says 308 Winchester is fine in a SCAR 17, despite the 308 Winchester generating more pressure than 7.62x51mm NATO - the opposite of the 223 Remington/5.56x45mm NATO relationship).

I know its a short stroke piston and the charging handle reciprocates - so I have to keep my thumb clear of the charging handle.

Does it prefer to be run wet like an AR, or dry? Does a piston system require as much cleaning as a DI system? I'm planning on putting a FDE Grip Pod (love those things - got one on each of my SBR AR's uppers) and a Geissele Super SCAR trigger, but what about optics? If I decide to suppress it, what suppressor should I use for it?

And I also plan on submitting an eForm 1 as soon as I have the gun in hand to put a 13" barrel on it.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: School me on the SCAR 17

Dead Air Sandman suppressor. It's what the Silencer Co Saker should have been. Check out the vids on Youtube.

If I had my druthers and owned one I think the Leupy CQBSS 1-8 or some kind of high quality (true 1X) variable would ride on it. An SWFA 1-6 comes to mind as a budget option. It just makes sense.

I look forward to the pics.

Here's a write up on lubing. I don't have enough experience with the SCAR to offer much more insight other than that so I'll digress. They shoot nice though, it's pleasant. Ask animalmother, he's run Mk17.

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17...-write-up.html
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Philadelphia County)

Don't take it seriously but.... It's made for Operators, by Operators, who Operate in Operations.

Sorry the pic is so damn big.

OPERATOR.jpg

147gr M80 7.62x51mm NATO versus 55gr M193 5.56x45mm NATO.

Good times.

SBR it with the 13" barrel...and maybe track down a 20" match grade barrel and feed it some 175gr M118LR...mmmm...

I had a tough choice today. The FN SCAR 17 or a Mk12 Mod1 upper for my SBR with everything short of the Nightforce 2.5-10x24 NXS scope. Decided to go for the 308 Winchester.

My list is getting shorter. Still wanting a FN SCAR 16, KAC SR25, a HK MR556A1 and a Remington 700 in 300 Winchester Magnum.

(Lancaster County)

Buy the bent charging handle. Busted my knuckles on my optic mount once during a class. Even with gloves, hurt like hell...

Geissele triggers are gifts from God!

Don't need to run as wet as an AR. I use MilComm TW25. Use whatever you like. And the piston system does not need cleaning very often at all. The SCAR is a very clean running, even with the Mil-Surp battle pack stuff I normally shoot. I clean the barrel every 150+ or so...I only clean the piston every 1000+ rounds, and it is not very dirty at all. You could probably go 5000+ if you wanted to. Defiantly no need to clean the piston every time you shoot. I will tell you that a gunked up piston will probably be the source of failure to cycle if you never clean the gun at all. I based this on looking at a rental SCAR at a range that probably had 10,000+ rounds down the pipe and they never cleaned the piston. Still cycling, but it was only a matter of time.

i run a AAC 7.62 SDN-6. Just my preference. Build quality is solid, weight is right, and dB reduction is in the acceptable range. Really controls recoil nicely. Remember to change your gas port setting when running suppressed. I forgot once, and it still cycled fine, but the blow back was nasty....

Try her at distance for a while before you invest in the 13 barrel. She is one accurate machine with the Geissele trigger. But if you get the 13" I wanna try it. And get the extended rail, cause a 13'' with a full rail would be awesome.

Elcan Specter DR. Our neighbors to the north build a freaking amazing scope. Pricey though, but worth it.

Stay away from the ASC 25 round Scar Magazines. Source of my only source of FTF...ever...

And you will have to accept that FN used every shade of FDE available on the SCAR.

Last edited by moshan; September 9th, 2015 at 08:45 PM.
    Cool signature line goes here..
    ..or here, cause I got me a Bronze subscription and I get 2 lines...

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it Friday or Saturday. First time I ever bought a gun online...and it sucks having already paid for it and having to wait a couple days to pick it up.

Looks like you have the 1.5x/6x Elcan on there. Not sure if I want to spend $3,000 on an optic. I'm having enough trouble convincing myself that $2,250 for a 1x/4x is "reasonable."

(Lancaster County)

I was running a US Optic SR8 for a while. That went onto my "accuracy" AR build

Had a good year at work and invested in the Elcan 1.5x to 6x Yes, more $ in the optic than the rifle. Wish you were closer to me, i would let you put a few down range.. The optic really is worth the investment if you have the means.

So looking into aftermarket stuff for the SCAR and seeing this. GG&G and Tango Down for the "minor" stuff like bent charging handle, non-reciprocating charging handle, rail covers, etc., etc. And HDD and Handl Defense for the "major" stuff like replacement metal lowers that work with SR25-style magazines, match grade barrels and a 5.56x45mm conversion kit. And Midwest Industries for extended rail covers, including one that looks a lot like the Mk20 Mod0 rifle - provided I can track down a match grade 20" barrel to go with it (and get a Magpul PRS on an AR tube as well).

Probably going to get some fashion of EOTech at first - either an EXPS3-0 (SU-231A/PEQ) or 553 (SU-231/PEQ). And then save up for an Elcan SpecterDR. Might even go for the 1.5x/6x big boy.

(Lancaster County)

see below
    Last edited by moshan; September 10th, 2015 at 09:11 PM. Reason: double post

(Lancaster County)

Non-reciprocating charging handle- shoot her for a while first. You will find this add on is a solution looking for a problem. I tried a non-reciprocating handle another guy had and was trying to sell. Not for me. If you mount sling points/ optic mounts/ bent charging handle right, you are good to go and handle is not an issue.

Speaking of sling, don't use a sling with HK stye hooks. Yes, the SCAR has all those great sling loop points. but any serious handling of the rifle on a sling with HK hooks will wreck those loops. This is a design flaw that should have been addressed. The loops are not separate pieces and are built into the upper, which is the serial numbered part. My extended rail had a QD sling point. GG&G makes a great single point QD sling plate for the side (really nice resign) and add one of the Noveske Flush QD sling mounts to the opposite side of the "moon boot" stock. The flush QD is ridiculously easy to mount because the stock rubber shoulder plate is a one second removal with the push pins, and there is a nice work area play with. Get a sling with QD sling swivels. I actually use only one FDE Blue Force Gear Vickers sling with QD swivels across all of my rifles. Have two "back up" slings in case, one OD and one black.

Replacement metal lowers that work with SR25-style magazines- Don't think Geissele triggers will work with that lower... but you have to check. Of all the upgrade listed, Geissele trigger is the one absolute must in my opinion. Made the biggest impact in accuracy / fun for me. And SCAR mags are readily available around $40 now. Not like when I first got my SCAR and mags were going for $100+ on Gun Broker, if you could even find them. Roll the extra money you would have spent for the Handl lower into more SCAR mags...I think you'll come out ahead on reliability . Thought about going the Handl lower route as well. Decided against it. Not worth the hassle / possible reliability issues for me.

My extended rail is a Primary Weapons Systems SRX. Had originally intended to Cerakote it FDE (they only came in black when i bought it) but decided i like my "Rifle of many colors". I really like he look of the Midwest industries rail. Post pics if you do it...

Best of luck with the new hardware! I think you said you are getting it tomorrow?
    Last edited by moshan; September 10th, 2015 at 09:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast