Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Battle Packs - the Poor Man's Version

EDIT: Photobucket is once again screwing with people. Images are blurred out

One day years ago I was thinking that it may not be a bad idea to have small amounts of ammo stored and "ready to go" at a moment's notice without needing to go digging through closets, or ammo cans, or whatnot - just grab the pack of the caliber needed at the time and go.
    The thought was not to carry thousands of rounds - that could be accomplished by grabbing an ammo can easily enough. I just wanted small amounts of ammo that was easy to grab, pack, distribute, whatever - there are surely plenty of ways it could come in handy.

Since it wouldn't be stored in an ammo can, and likely wouldn't be needed for years, decades, or ever, I decided to use a Foodsaver to vacuum pack the ammo. It should protect the ammo during it's time in storage and allow it to be transported without worry of getting wet.

Back in 2008 I sealed up a few packs of ammo and just this week decided I should add some more. Ideally it would be good to have a small amount available in every caliber owned. I've since added to that list, so I added a few more "battle packs" as well.

I'm not a prepper by any stretch of the imagination and my goal isn't 200 year storage buried in a hole in a riverbank (next to where my guns fell out of the boat) - I just wanted a few rounds at the ready - for whatever reason - and if ammo will last for decades without taking extra storage precautions, sealing it up couldn't possibly be a bad thing, and could have several benefits as well.

I've done a few searches and have seen others discussing this topic in various places online. There may be better methods out there, but my intent was simply to seal up a few small batches of ammo, so that's all I did.

Anyway, here are a few of them.

These were packed in 2008 and are still sealed up snug.

This is the only one not "sucked in tight". I'm unsure if it leaked during storage, or if I simply didn't vacuum all the air out which is a possibility since it's on stripper clips and I thought the corners may poke through the bag.
    That's one thing you need to consider as well as the potential to damage the rounds when they get "squeezed" as the air is sucked out of the bag.
    It's a good idea to protect the ammo by placing it in something that will not crush, or by padding it in some manner.

Here's a good example. The 30-30 rounds in the boxes are also in plastic sleeves like the ones "exposed" and they surround the bullet end which will protect it from being unseated/loosened when the bag seals tight.

How you can tell I'm getting old...

I had a two of the old plastic CCI 100 rd packages that I filled with an assortment of 22LR. Hollow points, round nose, standard velocity, and high velocity.
    I cut a cereal box and created a snug "box" over those two to prevent the corners of the plastic boxes from poking the bag. I was concerned most about unseating 22 LR bullets since they are somewhat loose to begin with, so the cardboard CCI package got reinforced by sliding strips of cereal box inside the package to the point I felt it would be strong enough to protect the ammo during the sealing process. It seemed to work.

When I think to, I arrange the boxes so they can be easily identified from either side and note the caliber in various places when it's not already apparent.

Last edited by Emptymag; November 7th, 2019 at 05:54 PM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Battle Packs - the Poor Man's Version

I've thought about vacuuming packing some ammo but haven't got around to it yet or had the desire to do so yet. For now happy to use loaded magazines and ammo cans.

One issue to consider is some of the inks and materials used on or in cardboard can be acidic and this has caused some issues with sealed "battle packs" from the Cold War era from over in Europe and other countries like South Africa. Some of this has resulted in corrosion of ammo. Many of these ammo manufacturers today that package ammo in boxes could have these issues as the manufacturers never intended for the boxes or ammo to be sealed up. Don't know for sure but worth thinking about.

I have a reasonably well above average quantity of ammo and will be doing inventory soon as I have lost track of exactly what I have to some extent. What I try to do when I inventory is pick the oldest ammo out, set it to the side and use it up first. I also keep loaded magazines handy. If the ISIS zombies attack you will not have time to thumb rounds in magazines.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    Hey , thoughts on that PPU 30-30 stuff?
    Have been considering it as a back up for the wife if I don't get around to reloading her shells.
    PPU makes a consistently reliable and quality product overall for it's price point. Probably not the best in the world but far from the worst. I've shot a variety of their rifle calibers and consider it to meet the "go to war" standard.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I've thought about vacuuming packing some ammo but haven't got around to it yet or had the desire to do so yet. For now happy to use loaded magazines and ammo cans.

One issue to consider is some of the inks and materials used on or in cardboard can be acidic and this has caused some issues with sealed "battle packs" from the Cold War era from over in Europe and other countries like South Africa. Some of this has resulted in corrosion of ammo. Many of these ammo manufacturers today that package ammo in boxes could have these issues as the manufacturers never intended for the boxes or ammo to be sealed up. Don't know for sure but worth thinking about.

I have a reasonably well above average quantity of ammo and will be doing inventory soon as I have lost track of exactly what I have to some extent. What I try to do when I inventory is pick the oldest ammo out, set it to the side and use it up first. I also keep loaded magazines handy. If the ISIS zombies attack you will not have time to thumb rounds in magazines.

Yeah, I hadn't heard about the "acid" issue or I may have done it differently. Thanks for the tip.

I had read about the possibility of the cardboard "holding moisture" that gets trapped inside, and suggestions to add desiccant packs, but I can't imagine that minuscule amount of moisture could possibly be any worse than with ammo just sitting around in a box somewhere that's exposed to fluctuating humidity levels.

Funny you mentioned mags. While I have yet to stash any loaded mags inside ammo cans, I do have a "backpack" that contains one loaded mag for each of the most likely weapons I may need to grab in an emergency.
    I was also thinking of sealing up a few loaded mags. No need to worry about cardboard.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

I have one ammo can full of 5.56 and a few boxes of 9mm for bug out should the need arise. I'm staying put as long as possible as it's my best option. It would take to long to load up everything I have and I couldn't get it all in one trip.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Yeah, I hadn't heard about the "acid" issue or I may have done it differently. Thanks for the tip.

I had read about the possibility of the cardboard "holding moisture" that gets trapped inside, and suggestions to add desiccant packs, but I can't imagine that minuscule amount of moisture could possibly be any worse than with ammo just sitting around in a box somewhere that's exposed to fluctuating humidity levels.

Funny you mentioned mags. While I have yet to stash any loaded mags inside ammo cans, I do have a "backpack" that contains one loaded mag for each of the most likely weapons I may need to grab in an emergency.
    I was also thinking of sealing up a few loaded mags. No need to worry about cardboard.
    A couple of thoughts, for we've done that too.

I haven't seen any primers back out of the .30-30's that we reloaded, sealed, opened three years later, measured, and sealed again. Some of our results may depend on the powder and whether the case was only 65% full or 85% full. Same with 9's, .38's, .45's, 5.56x45's, 7.62x51's, and .30-06. But we do reload our non-hunting .45-70's to different pressure curves and still haven't seen any adverse affect on any of the rounds, brass, primers.or the accuracy of the rounds..

Thanks for sharing your remarks. And BTW, the more mags, the better. Yeah, I already know that then you'd need one of those "wheelie" suitcases to carry them.

Hey, sometimes, neighbors make good friends..
    - bamboomaster

(Tioga County)

Adjusted for inflation over the past few decades, standard capacity magazines(around 30 rounds or so) have never been cheaper. These days for an AK or AR you can buy a couple hundred dollars worth and have a lifetime supply with an ample amount preloaded with ammo. I just rotate my SHTF mags in and out over time as well as ammo.

(Berks County)

I buy lots of mags for every gun only cuz I hate to reload them at the range in the winter time. My fingers get numb cuz I'm old. Plus I'm a pussy...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

I have never heard of this and have probably bought, used and opened a hundred or so various battle backs through the years (mostly .308) and have only seen pristine ammo when opened up. Still have quite a few various battle packs in my stash.

As for vacuum packing myself, I have recently been playing around with the vacuum sealer and have a few made up my own self.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Chester County)

I had about 200 rounds of loose Turkish 8mm made in the late 30's and they ALL went bang so take it for what it's worth.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast