Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Which ammo for 44 Mag against bear?

I just got a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag with a 5.5 inch barrel. I will be using it for self defense against black bears in NE PA while I'm archery hunting. What would be the ideal cartridge for this gun against bears?

Thanks Isaac.

(Perry County)

Default Re: Which ammo for 44 Mag against bear?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs4421 View Post
    I just wanted to update those who were interested in this thread. I am happy to announce that I have a new Ruger Redhawk with a 5.5 inch barrel! This gun is perfect! I love it. I tried a few different types of ammo so far, but I am not done testing it out. I love the 320 gr Buffalo Bore! They have so much power! I never felt anything so powerful!
    I think you're already shooting it. It's probably overkill on a black bear but if you're shooting one during archery, I'm guessing you don't want to take chances as the shit has hit the fan.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Westmoreland County)

I'd shoot it with a camera. Every black bear I've ever seen has turned tail and run once it discovered my presence. It's always good to be prepared though. Excellent choice!

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I think you're already shooting it. It's probably overkill on a black bear but if you're shooting one during archery, I'm guessing you don't want to take chances as the shit has hit the fan.
    Yeah.
    Any hardcast 300grainer plus with large meplat

(Chester County)

Buffalo Bore .44Mag+p+ 340gr. If you dare. Not for all pistols but Ruger Redhawks are rated OK for this load. You will not like the recoil.

(Chester County)

Shoot with what your accurate with not necessarily the most potent. I carry my Model 29 with standard store bought hard cast 290gr.

Now if I was venturing in Brown bear or Grizzly country then I'd probably re-think my choices.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    I'd shoot it with a camera. Every black bear I've ever seen has turned tail and run once it discovered my presence. It's always good to be prepared though. Excellent choice!
    I had one that did not leave until I fired warning shots, he wanted on my deck in the worst way. The 3 full sized dogs were not effective.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001