Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: traveling north

(Chester County)

Default traveling north

Leaving next Wednesday on the bike for Howland,Maine to spend a few days with fellow Paratroopers.Will be going up 84 to avoid NY City but what is the safest way to get myself thru some of the commie states.Like can I carry my mags in my jacket and gun in my saddle bag or should I just put mags in 1 bag gun in other?

(Tioga County)

Default Re: traveling north

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    Leaving next Wednesday on the bike for Howland,Maine to spend a few days with fellow Paratroopers.Will be going up 84 to avoid NY City but what is the safest way to get myself thru some of the commie states.Like can I carry my mags in my jacket and gun in my saddle bag or should I just put mags in 1 bag gun in other?
    Assuming your bags have locks on them, put them in different bags. If your bags don't lock your going to need two lockable containers. I would also suggest you unload the mags too.

Locked containers are mandated.Mags in your jacket won't work.

Edit: if you can schedule it try to make no stops in NY state.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Delaware County)

Don't bring any hi capacity mags either. FOPA doesn't cover mags. Not sure where Howland, ME is but 84 will take you through CT and then you'll have to cross MA. Long ways to go without having to stop in unfriendly territory. No good way to get from here to free New England (ME VT NH). I have a CT CWP so I have safe place to stop where I am legal.

(Lawrence County)

Just caught this thread. I'm currently in Georgia,(after visiting friends in north and central Florida), and I'm leaving tomorrow for S.Carolina with no reciprocity. It's a real pain to travel by bike sometimes on only a Pa. license, but it felt great to O.C. around Tampa area at night. I'll plan on unloading and separating gun and ammo until I'm in the motel, or leave the state on Friday...
    For those who've never fought for it, the price of freedom shall never be known.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 2Late45 View Post
    <snip>but it felt great to O.C. around Tampa area at night<snip>
    Were you fishing, or has Florida law changed?

(Lackawanna County)

It is only a few hundred yards, but 84 also takes you through NJ on the PA border getting to NY.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    Don't bring any hi capacity mags either. FOPA doesn't cover mags. Not sure where Howland, ME is but 84 will take you through CT and then you'll have to cross MA. Long ways to go without having to stop in unfriendly territory. No good way to get from here to free New England (ME VT NH). I have a CT CWP so I have safe place to stop where I am legal.
    What's considered a hi-cap mag in the Commie states? 8 rounds? 10?
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Quote Originally Posted by 2Late45 View Post
    Just caught this thread. I'm currently in Georgia,(after visiting friends in north and central Florida), and I'm leaving tomorrow for S.Carolina with no reciprocity. It's a real pain to travel by bike sometimes on only a Pa. license, but it felt great to O.C. around Tampa area at night. I'll plan on unloading and separating gun and ammo until I'm in the motel, or leave the state on Friday...
    You're stopping and staying in S. Carolina? Does that not present a problem, since FOPA only applies to travel through, and not to, places that don't share reciprocity??

Just an honest question

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    You're stopping and staying in S. Carolina? Does that not present a problem, since FOPA only applies to travel through, and not to, places that don't share reciprocity??

Just an honest question
    Any FOPA protection would be lost only if he removes the firearms from FOPA's transport methodology or deviates significantly from what would be considered intrinsic stops/routes for his trip. Overnight stops, in and of themselves, do not 'break' the protection.

If and when he removes the firearm(s) from the FOPA transport methodology at his SC stop he would then fall under the SC state laws (which are relatively liberal). Upon resumption of his trip, SC would become his origin for purposes of FOPA qualification for his next leg.
    Last edited by tl_3237; September 15th, 2015 at 02:18 PM.
    IANAL

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Any FOPA protection would be lost only if he removes the firearms from FOPA's transport methodology or deviates significantly from what would be considered intrinsic stops/routes for his trip. Overnight stops, in and of themselves, do not 'break' the protection.

If and when he removes the firearm(s) from the FOPA transport methodology at his SC stop he would then fall under the SC state laws (which are relatively liberal). Upon resumption of his trip, SC would become his origin for purposes of FOPA qualification for his next leg.
    Just got home yesterday evening and had to rest/shower before getting to computer. The above quoted info was what was cited to me for travel in S.Carolina by the host of our motorcycle event. It also helped that the local Chief of police and Sheriff were family members. No OC or CC took place, firearms remained secured in the motel rooms, except for properly licensed members of the group.

As for the Tampa area, I actually was cheating. I was concealed until I removed my jacket to donn rain gear at the B.P. off of I-4 @ 05:00. Nobody blinked or called about MWAG as far as I know.
    For those who've never fought for it, the price of freedom shall never be known.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast