Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Re: I'm going hiking this Sunday, what should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by BallisticSheepDog76 View Post
    .500 S/W magnum was literally designed as a handgun to hunt brown bear with. We're talking about upwards of a 500 grain projectile here. A simple search on youtube reveals the effectiveness of that round on bears. Also it's a hell of a lot easier to carry a handgun than a rifle. Since we both agree spray is a must and that the chances of getting into a life threatening encounter with a black bear are <1% I think toting a 30-06 for casual hike in PA is overkill. If you're actually hunting bear - 30-06 is a fine choice. Anything short of that - I'm bringing a handgun and I'm doing it with the utmost confidence. Also, just because you're using a 30-06 doesn't mean by any stretch that you aren't going to have to make an extremely "well placed shot". All shots made with the intent of harvesting game MUST be well placed to ensure a quick and humane death for the animal in question.
    Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Jeesh, according to this list, the one and only bear attack fatality in PA happened in 1883. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America

If somebody can post any credible evidence of a bear problem in PA, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'm going to continue to enjoy my bear encounters, without lugging around shotguns, large-bore revolvers, and huge cans of bear spray. The only provision I make for bears is calling out periodically when I'm running or backpacking solo in a remote area through a confined space on the trail, like a mountain laurel thicket or a rock city, so that I don't surprise them.

Statistically, you're much more likely to die from bee stings. You want to be all Mr. Macho, prepared for any threat? Here you go.

Otherwise, leave the crap at home and enjoy yourself.
    Correct, 500 was designed as a dangerous game cartridge and it packs around the same energy as a 30-06. That's a whole different animal than most pistol rounds. I completely agree that a run in with a bear that warrants a defensive response is more than rare also. Just pointing out that pistol vs. bear isn't a good scenario to be in.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    What about mountain lions?
    Phased plasma rifle in a 30 watt range.

Works well for squaches and unicorns as well.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Just pointing out that pistol vs. bear isn't a good scenario to be in.
    Can't argue with you on that one. If I was hunting and was purposely putting myself in a situation were I'm trying to provoke a bear encounter like tracking them or being extremely quiet, which is the opposite of what I would do if I was just hiking, I would bring a rifle or shotgun and not a handgun. I never want to shoot a bear though. Awesome creatures.
    Vote Hillary for Prison 2016

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Jeesh, according to this list, the one and only bear attack fatality in PA happened in 1883. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America

If somebody can post any credible evidence of a bear problem in PA, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'm going to continue to enjoy my bear encounters, without lugging around shotguns, large-bore revolvers, and huge cans of bear spray. The only provision I make for bears is calling out periodically when I'm running or backpacking solo in a remote area through a confined space on the trail, like a mountain laurel thicket or a rock city, so that I don't surprise them.

Statistically, you're much more likely to die from bee stings. You want to be all Mr. Macho, prepared for any threat? Here you go.

Otherwise, leave the crap at home and enjoy yourself.
    This. PA's woods are boringly game and safe.

(Chester County)

Yeah, pepper spray, and a good fixed blade knife. Just relax, and have fun.

(Delaware County)

+1 on bear pepper spray. Get a non-resident LTCF. If the Wayne County sheriff won't issue to non-residents there are plenty of others who will. Worth a little time to get one and not have to worry about being unarmed while you are in PA.

(Allegheny County)

OP, can you run faster than your girl friend?
    Toujours prêt

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    I believe you are not permitted on gamelands without a license. A fishing license is like 20 bucks at walmart, though.
    Say what? Where did you get told that?

Perhaps 7 or 8 years ago there was an infamous case where a child was dragged from his tent by a black bear , granted this was Utah ..... and maybe those black bears are different than the apparent non-predatory species few think we have in PA.
    There are many other black bears attacks since 1880 whatever. But I never been one much to lead blind men in circles.
    Should you happen to encouter one in PA , perhaps the phrase "this isn't Utah MO%$@$F*&(^R" will resolve said issue.
    And of course so long as you're willing to take the rare mauling that happens even in PA and in the eastern part of the country ...... at least you won't be dead ...the odds say , just mauled... so suck it up would be the advise of the day.
    I understand most women who are raped are not killed ......... so not sure what all the up roar about that is.
    I mean , perhaps you lived.
    winner winner chicken dinner.
    Saying you should cower in fear and hide behind mushrooms is an illogical response as would it be to suggest no one has ever had reason to fear a PA black bear.
    Last edited by Boondox; September 7th, 2015 at 08:41 PM.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    Perhaps 7 or 8 years ago there was an infamous case where a child was dragged from his tent by a black bear , granted this was Utah ..... and maybe those black bears are different than the apparent non-predatory species few think we have in PA.
    There are many other black bears attacks since 1880 whatever. But I never been one much to lead blind men in circles.
    Should you happen to encouter one in PA , perhaps the phrase "this isn't Utah MO%$@$F*&(^R" will resolve said issue.
    And of course so long as you're willing to take the rare mauling that happens even in PA and in the eastern part of the country ...... at least you won't be dead ...the odds say , just mauled... so suck it up would be the advise of the day.
    I understand most women who are raped are not killed ......... so not sure what all the up roar about that is.
    I mean , perhaps you lived.
    winner winner chicken dinner.
    Saying you should cower in fear and hide behind mushrooms is an illogical response as would it be to suggest no one has ever had reason to fear a PA black bear.
    It's all about probability. There's a much better chance of being struck by lightning, yet we don't walk around in wearable Faraday cages.

I don't wear a helmet in the car. I don't carry a backpack with an AED and trauma kit everywhere I go. I don't take the stairs worrying that the elevator could fail. I haven't reinforced my house to withstand a tornado. At some point, we need to live our lives.

So where's the logic in worrying about PA bear attacks and not a thousand other threats that are more dangerous?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast