Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Wife got her LTCF.

So I have known my wife since 2010.

The other day she said she wanted to get her LTCF. Which is great because we share a car and if she's picking me up after work, and we are going out she can bring my gun and change of clothes (if i don't know we're going out when I leave in the morning).

She went down to the court house in Lancaster City, she was out in about half an hour.

They changed the way they did things though. In May I went with a friend to get his, and they kept the "Instructions" Paperwork that you had to list the local police department and if you had a license before. They kept his, and they gave mine back. They took my wife's and ripped it up and said they'll shred it. Looking at their website, the link to fill out that form is gone now too.

So kind of exciting, I've been carrying since I was 21, almost 28 now. I carry my G19 mainly and will be picking up my S&W Shield next week. Not sure if she'll actually carry though, I told her it's not really a good idea to carry it in her purse if she carries.

I want to take her to a few classes if I can find any that are priced right. I've taken her shooting and showed her what to do. I just don't know if she'd really be able to shoot someone in self defense though. We talked about some news things when someone like a teen shot an adult during robbing them and she said she didn't think she would do anything. But we can work on that later I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    OC.......do it for the boobies........

(Juniata County)

Default Re: Wife got her LTCF.

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown 1087 View Post
    So I have known my wife since 2010.

The other day she said she wanted to get her LTCF. Which is great because we share a car and if she's picking me up after work, and we are going out she can bring my gun and change of clothes (if i don't know we're going out when I leave in the morning).

She went down to the court house in Lancaster City, she was out in about half an hour.

They changed the way they did things though. In May I went with a friend to get his, and they kept the "Instructions" Paperwork that you had to list the local police department and if you had a license before. They kept his, and they gave mine back. They took my wife's and ripped it up and said they'll shred it. Looking at their website, the link to fill out that form is gone now too.

So kind of exciting, I've been carrying since I was 21, almost 28 now. I carry my G19 mainly and will be picking up my S&W Shield next week. Not sure if she'll actually carry though, I told her it's not really a good idea to carry it in her purse if she carries.

I want to take her to a few classes if I can find any that are priced right. I've taken her shooting and showed her what to do. I just don't know if she'd really be able to shoot someone in self defense though. We talked about some news things when someone like a teen shot an adult during robbing them and she said she didn't think she would do anything. But we can work on that later I guess.
    Women are cold. I doubt she would have any trouble.

My wife really likes her m&p shield. She carries it Bout half as often as I would like. I think the firearm is a good choice, when I asked about it it was overwhelmingly positive feedback on the forum.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    My wife really likes her m&p shield. She carries it Bout half as often as I would like. I think the firearm is a good choice, when I asked about it it was overwhelmingly positive feedback on the forum.
    Mrs.K also likes her Shield 9mm. If she's out it's a good bet she's got it.

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Women are cold. I doubt she would have any trouble.
    Not going to agree or disagree with that statement.

I will, however, say this: if someone can not decide - right now, right here, during a calm stress-free moment - that they can take a life if necessary to protect themselves or their loved ones, they have no business carrying a gun. I'm not saying they can't own one, shoot one, train with one however wherever whenever they want, but if they can't make that decision then leave it locked up unless going to the range.

My 2¢

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Mrs.K also likes her Shield 9mm. If she's out it's a good bet she's got it.

Not going to agree or disagree with that statement.

I will, however, say this: if someone can not decide - right now, right here, during a calm stress-free moment - that they can take a life if necessary to protect themselves or their loved ones, they have no business carrying a gun. I'm not saying they can't own one, shoot one, train with one however wherever whenever they want, but if they can't make that decision then leave it locked up unless going to the range.

My 2¢
    I quite agree.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Delaware County)

-Snip-

My 2¢
    I've pondered that question many times. We've seen the video of the officer who was confronted with a shotgun-wielding maniac and kept saying "Halt" until the maniac killed him; that officer was trained to fire but froze. I'm sure that there are people who swore that they'd never take a life but acted out of protective instinct when their loved one was threatened. Essentially you don't know how you'll react until actually confronted. I would say that if the person is willing to accept training and to carry, making them declare their intention is probably not a foolproof predictor either way.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I've pondered that question many times. We've seen the video of the officer who was confronted with a shotgun-wielding maniac and kept saying "Halt" until the maniac killed him; that officer was trained to fire but froze. I'm sure that there are people who swore that they'd never take a life but acted out of protective instinct when their loved one was threatened. Essentially you don't know how you'll react until actually confronted. I would say that if the person is willing to accept training and to carry, making them declare their intention is probably not a foolproof predictor either way.
    I understand what you're saying, but I respectfully disagree - in this particular case. Most certainly people who have never considered harming a fly have killed in defense of self or loved ones, this I do not question. But for someone to strap on a gun without already having the mindset is an invitation for too many bad things to mention. Hypothetical (I hope) example:
    1. Small woman gets a gun because someone told her it would make her feel safer. She is accosted by 2 large men and tells them she has a gun so they will leave her alone. She doesn't take it out, because she does not believe in killing. After raping her, robbing her, and beating her to within an inch of her life, they walk off with their shiny new never-fired .357 magnum.
    2. Small woman gets a gun because someone told her it would make her feel safer she determines it is the best tool to defend herself. She is accosted by 2 large men and tells them she has a draws her gun so they will leave her alone. She doesn't take it out, because They advance, thinking she does not believe in killing. After ventilating the fist one's ocular cavity raping her, robbing her, and beating her to within an inch of her life, the second runs off they walk off with their while she keeps her shiny new never-fired well-maintained .357 magnum at the ready.

I have an acquaintance who spent years in the Air Force with fighter pilots. For them, the decision to be made right here right now is to pull the ejection handle when the time is right. If you do not have the mindset - now - to do what needs to be done, you only endanger yourself and everyone else should the need arise and you are unready and/or unwilling to act.

As always,
    My 2¢

(Berks County)

Does she know she has to conceal now?

I jest I jest. Good for her.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Delaware County)

I understand what you're saying, but I respectfully disagree - in this particular case. Most certainly people who have never considered harming a fly have killed in defense of self or loved ones, this I do not question. But for someone to strap on a gun without already having the mindset is an invitation for too many bad things to mention. Hypothetical (I hope) example:
    1. Small woman gets a gun because someone told her it would make her feel safer. She is accosted by 2 large men and tells them she has a gun so they will leave her alone. She doesn't take it out, because she does not believe in killing. After raping her, robbing her, and beating her to within an inch of her life, they walk off with their shiny new never-fired .357 magnum.
    2. Small woman gets a gun because someone told her it would make her feel safer she determines it is the best tool to defend herself. She is accosted by 2 large men and tells them she has a draws her gun so they will leave her alone. She doesn't take it out, because They advance, thinking she does not believe in killing. After ventilating the fist one's ocular cavity raping her, robbing her, and beating her to within an inch of her life, the second runs off they walk off with their while she keeps her shiny new never-fired well-maintained .357 magnum at the ready.

I have an acquaintance who spent years in the Air Force with fighter pilots. For them, the decision to be made right here right now is to pull the ejection handle when the time is right. If you do not have the mindset - now - to do what needs to be done, you only endanger yourself and everyone else should the need arise and you are unready and/or unwilling to act.

As always,
    My 2¢
    I'm not sure that we're really disagreeing all that much. In situation #1 she got the revolver but didn't train by the sound of it. Harder to tell in situation number 2. To me, the willingness to train and practice is a better indicator of how somebody will react than soliciting a philosophical statement. If you look at my sig line below, watch her hands (ie, what she does) rather than her eyes (or other anatomical parts for that matter).
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.