Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Talking Looking for a hunting mentor in SEPA

Hello,

I am a lifelong resident of SEPA. I have only hunted doves a couple of times in my teens and that is about it. I am currently a 40 yr old father of two and would like to deer hunt this season. I was hoping to hook up with some folks while taking a refresher hunter safety course, but almost all of the attendees are kids, most of them Amish. I would need nothing but some guidance in where and how to hunt and all of the good things one would want to pass on to a new hunter. If anyone is looking for another hunter to join a camp or lease, I would be interested. I appreciate any and all help.

Steve

Default Re: Looking for a hunting mentor in SEPA

Steve,

I typically only archery hunt in 5C. I do my rifle hunting in Perry Co as I do not hunt with a shotgun in 5c. I'm no expert, but I'll be more than happy to talk to you by PM or phone. Send me a PM if you want to chit chat.

(Delaware County)

I am looking to try and hunt anywhere. My happiest and most peaceful times in life were when I was out in the woods and/or in the middle of a stream. Marriage and kids have put the crimp on golf and fishing. I purchased doe tags for 5C and 5D because of their proximity. From what I have learned in conversation and after retaking the hunter safety course, it is more about finding a place to hunt legally. The fun of actually seeing, shooting, field dressing a deer may never happen. Living most of my life in Delaware County and not coming from a hunting family has me on the outside looking in. Anyone who hunts around here bow hunts and from what I've seen out with my dogs they put stands anywhere they can. The guys I know who bow hunt no longer rifle hunt. They find their little spot locally and bow hunt.I appreciate the response and hope to talk soon. Thank you.

I give you a lot of credit for signing up and asking for the help. I am about as far away from you as is possible while still remaining in the state, so I will not be of much help. Again, I find it very admirable that you asked for help. A lot of guys wouldn't have the sense or ability to ask for the help. Good luck this year.

(Lawrence County)

I've come from a non gun owning family. So I've never been exposed to hunting myself. I just stayed hunting when I was 30 (I'm 37 now) but fell in love with it day one.

I've had the great fortune to have a father in law who loves to hunt, and butchers his own animals. He's shown me everything I know. Good luck finding someone to help you learn! Then once you're knowledgeable, make sure to pass that info on to the younger generation!
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Delaware County)

I notice your from Springfield I'm from Brookhaven. I usually hunt Ridley creek state park and French creek state park. I could show you some spots around there if your interested. Also my friend and I want to get more into small game hunting this year your welcome to tag along the more the merrier imo we usually do that at French creek.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by djstevez View Post
    Hello,

I am a lifelong resident of SEPA. I have only hunted doves a couple of times in my teens and that is about it. I am currently a 40 yr old father of two and would like to deer hunt this season. I was hoping to hook up with some folks while taking a refresher hunter safety course, but almost all of the attendees are kids, most of them Amish. I would need nothing but some guidance in where and how to hunt and all of the good things one would want to pass on to a new hunter. If anyone is looking for another hunter to join a camp or lease, I would be interested. I appreciate any and all help.

Steve
    Hey there, where you located at? I live over near New Holland. I don't mean to hi Jack your thread, but don't want to create a new one for the same basic inquiry. I'm also looking for someone to go deer hunting with, my only hunting experience has been Jack rabbits and Coyotes while I was stationed out west, of which I did not process, so that's my biggest set back. I would love to find a hunting buddy to teach me the ropes of deer hunting. Good luck to you and if you would like to go and see what kind of luck we could have together let me know, I'm a couple YouTube videos away from being a field dressing expert (😉 i kid on the expert part). I'm 31 father of two boys and eventually want to get them into the sport as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay2125 View Post
    I notice your from Springfield I'm from Brookhaven. I usually hunt Ridley creek state park and French creek state park. I could show you some spots around there if your interested. Also my friend and I want to get more into small game hunting this year your welcome to tag along the more the merrier imo we usually do that at French creek.
    I go out to French Creek quite a bit for fishing, would be interested in tagging along sometime if you don't mind.
    Last edited by nexgen91; September 29th, 2015 at 02:33 PM.

(Berks County)

My son asks me to hunt, I honestly don't know how to because my Dad never hunted with me. Need to break the cycle somehow but everyone I ask locally always seems a little standoffish, no one wants to give up their fishing hole nor their prime deer spots!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    My son asks me to hunt, I honestly don't know how to because my Dad never hunted with me. Need to break the cycle somehow but everyone I ask locally always seems a little standoffish, no one wants to give up their fishing hole nor their prime deer spots!
    Same here, never got to hunt with dad, or grandfather, or any family member for that matter, but always wanted to. My uncle was big into deer hunting but never took me out , I should have probly asked looking back on it. I dont want to steal someones spot, if they take me out and dont want me to go back there again I wont, unless they are ok with it. I can find my own spot, I just need to learn the in and outs and mostly how to field dress and/or process the meat, I feel that is where I am lacking the most. I have been a rifle and pistol shooter since returning from an overseas assignment back in 2009, grew up shooting a little here and there but really got into it while stationed out west. I also am interested in archery hunting, have had a vertical bow for a while and just picked up a crossbow because they are so dang cool. Looking to get out in the woods and wander around if nothing more, I love being out in the wild, getting a deer would just be icing on the cake and meat in the freezer. Good luck to all you other guys looking for someone to take you.