Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Tattoos and OC- Does it make a difference?

I am pretty new to this forum and have only recently started to dabble in the art of OC. I am, as my user name implies, a school administrator in a Delaware County school district. During work hours I wear a suit, tie etc, basically I look like any other business man and not a threat to anyone. After school hours I standardly dress in cargo shorts and a black t-shirt. I grew up as a poor punk kid and got involved in tattooing when I was only 17. I now have two half sleeves (elbows up covered in tattoos), my left leg completely covered from my knee down, and many other visible tattoos around my body. My question for you is whether or not my body art will increase my chances of negative LEO encounters when choosing to OC? Will the general public be more inclined to make negative comments about OC because of my tattoos? Does any of this matter? You should see the looks I get when I carry around my 2 month old son. People look at me like I just stole the baby from some defenseless mother. Thanks for your feedback or stories.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Tattoos and OC- Does it make a difference?

Hard to say.

Let us know if it makes a difference.....

Haven't had any issues out here in the sticks.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by .45 Principal View Post
    I am pretty new to this forum and have only recently started to dabble in the art of OC. I am, as my user name implies, a school administrator in a Delaware County school district. During work hours I wear a suit, tie etc, basically I look like any other business man and not a threat to anyone. After school hours I standardly dress in cargo shorts and a black t-shirt. I grew up as a poor punk kid and got involved in tattooing when I was only 17. I now have two half sleeves (elbows up covered in tattoos), my left leg completely covered from my knee down, and many other visible tattoos around my body. My question for you is whether or not my body art will increase my chances of negative LEO encounters when choosing to OC? Will the general public be more inclined to make negative comments about OC because of my tattoos? Does any of this matter? You should see the looks I get when I carry around my 2 month old son. People look at me like I just stole the baby from some defenseless mother. Thanks for your feedback or stories.
    I've seen you and you've seen me before, personally and I've never had any issues before with or without my gun with my legs covered in tattoos..I think you'll be OK, but of course will be into the whole 'skin head' white guy with tattoos stereotype because we both have lots of tattoos and shaved heads..=(
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Berks County)

Like OC itself, all depends on the person. People have looked at me clean shaven in clean jeans and button down oxford OCing like I was Marilyn Manson himself. Other times, people hardly batted an eyelash at me decked out in militia-metal attire going to a show.

Like said before, let us know your experiences, as thatll be your indicator.

(Delaware County)

Yeah that whole skin head thing does seem to be a stereotype us white guys with shaved heads and tattoos get. Th OC thing adds to that stereotype.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by .45 Principal View Post
    Yeah that whole skin head thing does seem to be a stereotype us white guys with shaved heads and tattoos get. Th OC thing adds to that stereotype.
    We'll never live it down!!

I'd say just keep doing what you do and be yourself...

BTW, are you going to make it to the dinner next Saturday in Warminster and the Eastern PA shoot on August 9th?
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Montgomery County)

Here are a few questions and a comments I have for you. If I were you, I would be more concerned about how the school, parents, etc. would perceive you being stopped by police while OC’ing more than the tattoos on your body. How would the parents perceive you if they saw you OC’ing a gun in public? How about the students? Is your job more important than your right to OC? Sure OC is legal but how many people are going to cause problems for you and your job should they try to portray you as a nut job because you openly carry a firearm on your hip. For all these reasons, tattoos included, CC might be a better option for you.

I cant comment on OC with ink because while i do have ink, i do not OC. I have been CC for years and guess what, no one notices.
    Last edited by Guns4Fun; July 27th, 2008 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Here are a few questions and a comments I have for you. If I were you, I would be more concerned about how the school, parents, etc. would perceive you being stopped by police while OC’ing more than the tattoos on your body. How would the parents perceive you if they saw you OC’ing a gun in public? How about the students? Is your job more important than your right to OC? Sure OC is legal but how many people are going to cause problems for you and your job should they try to portray you as a nut job because you openly carry a firearm on your hip. For all these reasons, tattoos included, CC might be a better option for you.

I cant comment on OC with ink because while i do have ink, i do not OC. I have been CC for years and guess what, no one notices.
    If it is not illegal, where is the problem?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    If it is not illegal, where is the problem?
    Neither is stripping, or hanging out in bars but some people might take offense to it. As an educator sometimes you have to stick to the "norms" of society because like it or not they are in the spotlight.

(And I'm not equating the morals of the two, just saying)

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast