Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default "No guns" sign in Norristown

I hit a pothole today and tore a chunk out of the sidewall on one of my tires on the company truck. It's time for tires, so this is going to be expensive. Probably north of $1200. Called the Fleet Management company and asked for a shop to have it replaced. They sent me to "Just Tires" in Norristown, on Swede rd. As I walk in, I see the sign. "No Concealed Firearms".

Manager at counter greets me, " Hi, how can I help you?" I was just about to tell him, when it dawns on me what I just read. I turned and looked at it, pointed at it, and said, "I'm not real comfortable spending money here with that sign there." He looked, paused, looked at me, then shrugged and said, "Well, that's our policy". I told him to have a nice day and left. (For the record, I was NOT armed, but I still felt insulted by it)

Called Fleet and told them, "They had a 'political sign' in the window that I cannot agree with and cannot in good conscience spend money there." They rerouted me to Pep Boys. Warminster only had one mechanic and he was BUSY. Feasterville had mechanics and not tires my size. Willow Grove had mechanics AND tires, but couldn't lift my truck with their jack. I asked the writer if they had any jacks for sale that would lift it. "Sure, I'll show you". She takes me to them, and asks "Which one do you want to buy?" I left and went to Ford dealer.

" I need one tire, steel sidewall belts, not polyester. I'll be back tomorrow for three more. I need to get back on the road right now or I'd buy all four right now".
    They installed one tire. I paid and left. Truck didn't feel right. Almost rolled it turning onto my street. Got out at home and looked. POLYESTER SIDEWALL, one belt.

So, tonight I write a letter to Goodyear (Just Tires' parent company) and tomorrow I get to go to Ford dealer and raise hell.
    Some days you cannot win!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: "No guns" sign in Norristown

what kind of truck?

I stopped there once out of necessity, saw the sign... bought AAA on my smart phone in the parking lot and had it towed...

and that's how that's done

(Bucks County)

E350 cutaway van, VERY heavy!

(Allegheny County)

Eastern Pa has become goofville. We don't have signs like that anywhere out here in places that have manly activities involving rubber or grease. You live on the wrong side of the state.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    Eastern Pa has become goofville. We don't have signs like that anywhere out here in places that have manly activities involving rubber or grease. You live on the wrong side of the state.
    You've checked the strip clubs in da 'burgh?"
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

I had a pot hole caused blow out of new tire last month. It was a Pep Boys tire with a road hazard warranty. The $142 replacement tire cost me $45. I had no idea that my original purchase had that coverage. I walked in with OC, and not an eye brow was raised. 20 minutes later I was back on the road with almost $100 dollars more than expected in my account.

(Berks County)

Manx what's the deal with Polly side walls?

(Bucks County)

If you run lightweight, they are very comfortable riding. If you run heavy, or worse, top-heavy, they flex too much and can roll under and cause a rollover! My company outlawed them for use on our trucks after one of our guys rolled a truck on a bend in western Pa. Lots of witnesses swore he was under the speed, and driving very safely. Truck leaned the tire buckled under and over it went?

AFAIK, there is no such thing as "Steel Sidewall" tires. Steel in a tire is used exclusively as a belt material under the tread. There may be some sidewall reinforcements, near the bead that utilize steel - but no steel sidewall. The sidewall is made up of the body plies of the tire. In a radial the body plies are at 90 degrees to the bead (thus "radial"). In a Bias ply tire they are at 45 degrees to the bead (thus on the "bias"). Belts under the tread can be used in either radial or bias ply tires and may be made of steel (most common), aramid (kevlar) or any other fabric. The body plies - which are the sidewalls are most often polyester, because of its strength and resistance to flat-spotting, rayon or nylon (both of which will flat-spot overnight - but work it out in about 5 minutes of normal running). Read the sidewall of your tire carefully and make sure that you replace the tire with the correct load range, as recommended in your owner's manual.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    You've checked the strip clubs in da 'burgh?"
    I've seen one No Guns sign that wasn't on a government building, and it was Labcorp. Steelcity doesn't know what he's talking about. Common myth among yins.

It seems Open Carriers get harassed out in East Ohio whereas they do not here (except greater Philly of course).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast