Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio carry?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Ohio carry?

I have seen that some say Ohio now honors our permits is this true? I searched this forum and could not find an answer so if this is a repeat I am sorry. Also any special rules I should know before carrying in Ohio?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Ohio carry?

Yes it is true.

OH law changed earlier this year to honor licenses from every state for people who are temporarily in OH.

Check out handgunlaw.us's OH pamphlet for off-limits places. (yes, signs do have a direct impact by law. whereas PA relies on Trespass)
    Last edited by knight0334; August 14th, 2015 at 04:35 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Butler County)

This ^^^^^^^^^^.

The interesting places in Ohio involve booze (surprise). I don't drink and carry. IF you do, that's probably the trip-up in Ohio.

That, and it's a "must inform" state. The very first thing out of your mouth to a cop should be along the lines of "I'm licensed, I'm carrying, how shall I proceed?"

(Mercer County)

As others have said, you're good to go. You can carry into any class-d liquor serving establishment (provided it's not posted) but you cannot consume. As has been mentioned, Ohio is a duty to inform state. However, it's important to note that it isn't exclusive to motor vehicle stops. You need to inform law enforcement that you're armed during ANY stop by law enforcement, if the stop is being conducted for a law enforcement purpose.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks guys all excellent info

(Allegheny County)

Fwiw, when I travel, I print out the reciprocity laws for each state I am visiting or traveling in. I wonder if a local sheriff or small town PD does not update themselves on changes to their laws. I print these laws directly from their appropriate web site and keep a copy in my car on suitcase. Just my two cents here.

While visiting my brother-in-law a couple months ago in OH, he told me that during traffic stops, etc, he must inform the cop that he's a concealed carry permit holder, even if he's not carrying at the time. His nephew, who just got his CCP, said that their class instructor told them the same thing.

I knew OH was a must inform state & since I was carrying while there, I would have informed an officer if stopped anyway, but informing the officer that you're a CCP holder, even if you're not carrying just doesn't make much sense to me. I guess it's old age, because alot of things don't make sense to me anymore.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    While visiting my brother-in-law a couple months ago in OH, he told me that during traffic stops, etc, he must inform the cop that he's a concealed carry permit holder, even if he's not carrying at the time. His nephew, who just got his CCP, said that their class instructor told them the same thing.

I knew OH was a must inform state & since I was carrying while there, I would have informed an officer if stopped anyway, but informing the officer that you're a CCP holder, even if you're not carrying just doesn't make much sense to me. I guess it's old age, because alot of things don't make sense to me anymore.
    I visit the Ohio Conceled Carry forum all the time, and members there are telling that cops in Ohio keep telling them they need to inform no matter what. The law however does not support their position. If you are not carrying you have no need to notify other than upsetting some officer.

Quote Originally Posted by BobGun View Post
    I visit the Ohio Conceled Carry forum all the time, and members there are telling that cops in Ohio keep telling them they need to inform no matter what. The law however does not support their position. If you are not carrying you have no need to notify other than upsetting some officer.
    Well, that's what I thought, but getting into an argument with a cop in another state due to a gun law violation, whether a real violation or not, is not my idea of a pleasant trip or vacation.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

""A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall at times be infringed , repeatedly attacked and at times very confusing.""

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast