Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default How many of you reload for an auto loader?

With an AR-10 on the way and the price of .308 as high as it is, I'm very interested in reloading.

At the moment, I don't know the first thing about reloading; however, I've been doing some reading, and the information I've read about says that reloading ammo for use in an auto loader isn't recommended because there's a much greater chance of something going wrong.

I'm curious about how many of you reload for this purpose, and whether it's advisable for a beginner to take this on.

Proud member of:

Default Re: How many of you reload for an auto loader?

I've read about says that reloading ammo for use in an auto loader isn't recommended because there's a much greater chance of something going wrong.
    Where'd you read that ?? BARFCom??

Same GAME.

Long as you follow safety precautions and reloading guidelines you won't have a problem.

Theres a lot of stupid people out therewho ain't done anything but play 'armchair reloader' on the internet from reading BS 'testimonials' of REloading EXPERTS.

PAY ATTENTION.
    READ READ and READ (RELOADING BOOKS) not crap from forums probly posted by a 15 year old .
    PATIENCE
    PRACTICE WILL MAKE PERFECT.

I currently ONLY reload for "auto loaders"
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

i just started reloading a few years ago, and of course i started with the most dangerous round, the .50 bmg. i have never reloaded anything else and if i can reload for that round i think you should have no problem for the .308 just do some research and purchase a quality reloading press and dies, and scale and everything else that goes with the process.

(Blair County)

The favorite firearm used in the High Power game is something built on a AR-XX, almost all are semi-auto in 308 or 223. Most non-military shooters reload. In the next 2 weeks about 300,000 rounds of reloads will be fired at Camp Perry. I reload for auto-loaders the same as I reload for bolt guns, with one exception. I use a Full-Length sizer die set as high as will allow easy chambering. I pay special attention to primer seating although I don’t use Mil. Spec. primers.
    If this is your first time reloading, I would strongly suggest getting printed material from one of the bullet or powder companies and not to take web-based info as real. That being said, I do have some info on by site:

http://www.gswagner.com/bigreloading...dingindex.html

Steve

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stooperzero View Post
    Where'd you read that ?? BARFCom??

Same GAME.

Long as you follow safety precautions and reloading guidelines you won't have a problem.

Theres a lot of stupid people out therewho ain't done anything but play 'armchair reloader' on the internet from reading BS 'testimonials' of REloading EXPERTS.

PAY ATTENTION.
    READ READ and READ (RELOADING BOOKS) not crap from forums probly posted by a 15 year old .
    PATIENCE
    PRACTICE WILL MAKE PERFECT.
    I read it here.

As for reading material. Just today I ordered the most recent version of "The ABC's of Reloading" to help get me started.

Proud member of:

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWag View Post
    The favorite firearm used in the High Power game is something built on a AR-XX, almost all are semi-auto in 308 or 223. Most non-military shooters reload. In the next 2 weeks about 300,000 rounds of reloads will be fired at Camp Perry. I reload for auto-loaders the same as I reload for bolt guns, with one exception. I use a Full-Length sizer die set as high as will allow easy chambering. I pay special attention to primer seating although I don’t use Mil. Spec. primers.
    If this is your first time reloading, I would strongly suggest getting printed material from one of the bullet or powder companies and not to take web-based info as real. That being said, I do have some info on by site:

http://www.gswagner.com/bigreloading...dingindex.html

Steve
    Great site! Looks be a lot of good information on there which should keep me busy reading for a little while.

As for printed material. I would never attempt to reload anything based on information posted on the web. I just wanted to address this one issue I read about before proceeding any farther.

Proud member of:

(Blair County)

Well that explains it, “exteriorballistics.com” is primarily about reloading for benchrest shooting. The published manuals from bullet and powder companies explain how to construct ammunition that meets SAAMI specs. That is, ammunition that is safe to fire in any over-the-counter firearm. Benchrest reloading makes ammo that is for a specific firearm and may not fit into any other firearm. You are better starting to make SAAMI ammo and then, if you want to, work up to more accurate ammo. I have had good luck reloading Lake City cases, 7.62 NATO, from Scharch:

http://www.scharch.com/

If you want more accuracy than the loads you get from a reloading manual, uniform the primer pocket, de-burr the flash hole and use match or benchrest primers.

Steve

(Luzerne County)

I reload for everything I shoot which includes the .223/5.56mm (Bushmaster), .30/06 (M1 Garand) and .30cal (M1 Carbine).

I do have some milsurp and Wolf for the Bushmaster as well as Wolf for my SKS.

(Centre County)

Unless I get a hell of a deal on 5.56/.223 I reload for my AR's. I also reload 9mm and need to load some more as I just built a 9mm AR and I know it will eat that pretty fast, LOL.

There is not a problem reloading for any semi, justt follow the guides. And, as stated above, before you start, read, read, read. The book "The ABC's of Reloading" is a good book to start with. And, if you don't think you are going to reload, you can sell the book easily if you want to.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast