Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Carrying during the visit of the Pope?

Todays newspaper reports that the inner and secondary safety zones are being set up by the Used-to-be-United States Secret Service. Innermost perimeters will include metal detectors and be activated 30 hours prior to Pope's arrival. Secondary more outer perimeters will not include metal detectors but will exclude vehicles including parked. (I wouldn't trust that).

If they are installing metal detectors, that pretty much answers OPs question. And if you think a half dozen cops can be unsettling,
    you haven't lived until meeting and greeting the USSS. (Bolivian vacations excepted).

Quote Originally Posted by jtwalker View Post
    The governor would never let that happen ...

Have you noticed who's Governor these days and what is feelings on guns are? I'd be surprised if he didn't try some 'Executive Order' crap like his buddy Obama.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Chester County)

The "red zone" is restricted grounds designated by the Secret Service in conjunction with "a special event of national significance". Unless the Secret Service authorizes the possession of weapons within the red zone, entry therein by an armed individual would be a Federal violation which carries between a 1 to 10 year Federal jail term and/or a fine with a maximum between $100,000 and $250,000 – all depending on the grading of the particular violation.

Defense pleadings invoking rights of "free access to public property", "state licensure for carry of firearms", "Second Amendment", etc. would likely fall on deaf ears.
    IANAL

(Montgomery County)

The Pope is, after all, A foreign head of state on a visit to the USA. His Security will be handled by the State Department , Secret Service, and maybe members of the Swiss Guard.

I would expect the same level of security as if any other Head of State was visiting. I will probably not bother carrying if I go to see him.

(Northampton County)

Don't a lot of people live in the red zone?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    The "red zone" is restricted grounds designated by the Secret Service in conjunction with "a special event of national significance". Unless the Secret Service authorizes the possession of weapons within the red zone, entry therein by an armed individual would be a Federal violation which carries between a 1 to 10 year Federal jail term and/or a fine with a maximum between $100,000 and $250,000 – all depending on the grading of the particular violation.

Defense pleadings invoking rights of "free access to public property", "state licensure for carry of firearms", "Second Amendment", etc. would likely fall on deaf ears.
    Since you have more fun looking into these things than me and are better at it , didn't they pass a law a few years ago beefing this up to strict liability? As in walk out of your house with no idea what is going on and go to jail?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtwalker View Post
    The governor would never let that happen ...
    Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Have you noticed who's Governor these days and what is feelings on guns are? I'd be surprised if he didn't try some 'Executive Order' crap like his buddy Obama.

We really do need to get the sarcasm font installed.

(Bucks County)

Yep. Nutter advises people living in the red zone to get any prescriptions filled ahead of time, and stock up on food goods. BTW....people wanting to get close will have a five-mile walk.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Don't a lot of people live in the red zone?
    Most likely is would be the Art Museum steps and the Ben Franklin Parkway. Same area they fence off for other big events Such as the Made in America concerts. It's all just roadway and grass, no residences.

Edit. The zone map is online. It goes a lot further than I thought. Still I think it is mostly commercial properties between the art museum and city hall. The other red zone is around old city. Again some people live there but I think it is mostly commercial.
    Last edited by Remington788; August 14th, 2015 at 02:19 PM.

2+ million people are expected to flood into the city and every one of them wants to see the Pope as he drives by. My suggestion is stay away. Anything that densely populated is no place I plan to be.

As for the inner zone, wanding is the least of your concerns. To get into the inner most section for events such as the open mass, you have to have purchased a pass and I think they sold out in the first week. If you do plan to go to Philly you better be ready for a long walk. If you want an example of how far... folks coming from the Camden side won't be able to drive across the Ben Franklin bridge. On the west end PSP and PENDOT are anticipating gridlocked traffic as far out as Berks and Lancast Counties.

You think parking won't be a premium? The city is estimating 10,000 buses will be required to support the event and they only have sufficient parking for 40% of them.

Hotel vacancy? Non existant. My wife and I have friends that are getting offers online of over $1,000 a day to rent their 2 bedroom condo.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast