Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red dot sights

(Lehigh County)

Default Red dot sights

I am looking to get a red dot (open or closed) sight for a Ruger MIII.

Prices range from $20 - $500 + I would assume that the more expensive units are better built etc. but how much difference is there between these, and what is a reasonable price to pay for something that's decent?

Neil

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Red dot sights

Check out this place: http://www.larrysguns.com/Department...ghtsBFont.aspx

The UltraDot red dots are about mid-range. They're about on a par with the OLD Tasco ProPoints (which were VERY good at the time and would rate SUPERIOR now).

One thing you'll notice with the cheap jobs is distortion at the edges of the field of view so if you have a 30 mm scope your usable area is considerably less. The distortion is also annoying when trying to recover between shots as in Bullseye Timed or Rapid Fire.

One other very important thing. If you have astigmatic eyes, be sure to wear your corrective lenses when using the red dot! If you do not instead of a "DOT" you'll see a red woolly caterpillar!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Washington County)

Rimfire pistol right?

At the low end of the price range, I have enjoyed a $30 holographic sight on a Mark 3 for about 5 years now, holding zero and never needing a battery if I remember to turn it off. It was made by Sightmark, or some other chinese company.

For a couple years before upgrading, I used a BSA red dot on my AR, and I ran it hard! Never failed me. I think it cost around $30 as well. When I spent $350 on an Aimpoint PRO I gave that red dot to a friend for his AR and it still lives on. I told him I want it back if he upgrades, that thing should be in a shrine to cheap optics that work.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

I have owned a number of red dot sights, and will share what experience I have with them.

I have an aimpoint Micro H-1 mounted on a 308 rifle, and absolutely love it. These are pricey sights though, running around $500.00. It is compact, tough, easy to zero, easy to adjust, long battery life, and will likely survive a fall out of a low flying helicopter. I love mine, but is a dot that can take more abuse than a sporting shooter will ever dish out really necesary? Probably not, and the cost is prohibitive.

I have a Burris Fastfire 3 that has been on numerous firearms in the past few years, including an AKM in 7.62 x 39, and a Ruger 10-22. I have found it to be too small for use on a rifle, as its easy to have your cheek weld off a bit and not find the dot in the sight. I like all the features of the sight, and would not hesitate for a second to mount it on a pistol. I'm planning to purchase a Ruger 22/45 lite for just that reason.

I have a Trijicon RX30 mounted on another modern sporting rifle, and again, I love the sight. They are pricey, and also more than a little large for the application of mounting on a pistol though.

I had a Bushnell TRS dot mounted on an AKM, and it failed. A close friend had one fail on an AK as well, where the sight would turn off momentarily from the recoil of the rifle. They may work for rimfire applications, but after my and my friend's experience I would not reccommend them.

My next purchase will be a C-More railway, a sight that has been used extensively in the competetive pistol shooting world. They're worth checking out for what you want to do.

(Berks County)

On my Ruger 22/45 Lite, I went with the Primary Arms reflex sight (essentially Burris FastFire copy) and opted to get it as close to bore axis as possible with a Burris FastFire Mount. You pull the rail if you have one & the mount goes in place of the rear sight - it's a slick setup & I like it very much.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger P229 View Post
    My next purchase will be a C-More railway, a sight that has been used extensively in the competetive pistol shooting world. They're worth checking out for what you want to do.
    They also rule the roost in subgun competitions.

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    They also rule the roost in subgun competitions.
    Everything I hear about these sights is good. and I keep hearing more. With a price tag $150 bucks below aimpoint or EOtech, I can't believe there aren't more AK's and AR's rocking the C-more sights. I'm excited to order one next week.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger P229 View Post
    Everything I hear about these sights is good. and I keep hearing more. With a price tag $150 bucks below aimpoint or EOtech, I can't believe there aren't more AK's and AR's rocking the C-more sights. I'm excited to order one next week.
    Best of luck with the sight! I won't be commenting on it anymore but there are plenty of people in the Optics section. You can also sign up at UZITalk if you want a different angle on it from some real great guys

Bye!

(Lawrence County)

I have two C-more railways. They take a pounding on compensated pistols and mine sits on the AR. Easy to change dot size and no visual clutter.

Lycanhighlyrecommendedthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Northampton County)

^Lycanopinionaddspointsthrope

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast