Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: This would suck...

That would be an interesting scenario to test in court regarding FOPA provisions. Both beginning and destination states allow the firearm, and just happen to both be the same state.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Why the hell did they need to close 86 miles of road?? That seems ridiculous.
    It's a heavily traveled, limited access roadway. A small hiccup can easily necessitate closure of several miles. Hundreds of vehicles stacked up exponentially increase the amount of roadway affected, with very few options to relieve the backlog.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    It's a heavily traveled, limited access roadway. A small hiccup can easily necessitate closure of several miles. Hundreds of vehicles stacked up exponentially increase the amount of roadway affected, with very few options to relieve the backlog.
    "Several" is a lot more than 86.

Close off to the nearest exit. Put signs 100 miles out, indicating road is closed at exit whatever, and if they don't get off before then, they will have a long wait, with no one to blame but themselves. This gives people a lot of room to decide which way they want to go, with no unnecessary road inaccessibility AND spreads out "the load" of detour traffic.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    You got it. Last weekend, the Parkway West was closed inbound from Carnegie. It took some people 3-1/2 hr to get into the city using the official PennDOT detour. In that time, I could have driven to ERIE and back, and come down the Parkway North to town. People who knew better just took I-79 to Rt. 65 and made it downtown in 30 minutes. Crazy.
    I don't know why they didn't just make the detour up 79 and back down 279. Seems like a no brainer to me, with a fat road to take all that traffic.

(Dauphin County)

That would be an interesting scenario to test in court regarding FOPA provisions. Both beginning and destination states allow the firearm, and just happen to both be the same state.
    Although tl_3237 has posted his well researched opinion of why FOPA may not apply in such situations, I can't think of a much more sympathetic scenario to bring before a judge than this one. You had no intention of leaving the state, but the government directed you away from your intended intra-state route to an inter-state route.

You intended to be legal, you tried to be legal, it was the government's fault you were briefly routed through communist territory. Under the circumstances I could see a judicial ruling in line with the liberal interpretation of FOPA most of us would prefer to see.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I don't know why they didn't just make the detour up 79 and back down 279. Seems like a no brainer to me, with a fat road to take all that traffic.
    Because there is no ramp from one to the other.

But the firearm would need to be unloaded and in the trunk, separate from the ammunition or secured as otherwise provided for in FOPA.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Because there is no ramp from one to the other.
    Take exit 73, get back on going the other way. Beats the shit out of snaking through Carnegie at a snail's pace. It is 30 miles or so....gives plenty of room for people to spread out. I bet it would take no more than an hour with detour traffic. Compared to the 3-4 hours some people are supposed to have taken with the actual detour, seems like it would have to be a better option.
    Last edited by free; August 12th, 2015 at 07:14 PM.

(Lehigh County)

I make it a standard practice for every vehicle i own to have a strong box in these events. That way, I can unload and secure my sidearm in accordance with federal law. This certainly came in handy when I was traveling from Harrisburg to Uniontown, and the GPS routed me through Maryland without my realizing it. I was already 2-3 miles into MOM land before I could pull over to a quiet side street and get my sidearm secured. That situation had real pucker factor!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Here's something you don't think about everyday...if you're carrying in your car in PA and are detoured thru a neighboring "commie" state.

Crash closes Pa. Turnpike in both directions between New Stanton and Breezewood
    http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ea...s/201508120154
    August 12, 2015 9:32 AM

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A truck crash caused the closure this morning of an 86-mile stretch of the Pennsylvania Turnpike in both directions between New Stanton and Breezewood.

The crash occurred about 7:20 a.m. at mile 138 in Bedford County. The truck overturned, blocking lanes on both sides, and crews were working to clean up hazardous materials, including diesel fuel, motor oil and antifreeze that was spilled, turnpike spokeswoman Renee Vid Colborn said.

There was no immediate report about injuries.

Ms. Colborn could not provide an estimated time for reopening. Traffic was being detoured from New Stanton onto U.S. Route 119 south to U.S. 40 east to Interstate 68 east at Cumberland, Md., to I-70 north at Hancock, Md., to reach Breezewood. Westbound traffic was using the same detour in reverse.
    It was a nice try. Good topic for discussion although the topic seems to have flown over most heads.

Not sure why it turned into a "carry a map" and "That's a stupid detour" thread.

LOL!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast