Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Big woods hunting

Think I might try the big woods this year. Tired of the Pa. Dutch country hunting, and want something new. Have been to the Pa Grand Canyon, and loved the area, just not sure if there are enough deer to waarant the 4 hr. drive. I'm not picky, just want a new place to hunt. I do a lot of still hunting. any suggestions? Want to do some scouting this spring and summer when I go fishing. anywhere in the state that is new is OK. thanks.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Big woods hunting

I guess everyone is as fed up with the deer situation as I am. If anyone has any thoughts, LMK. Thanks.

(Bucks County)

You're probably better off hunting the Poconos. I used to hunt archery a lot in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area.

I've hunted in the Sproul state forest in WMU 2G near Snow Shoe occasionally, but there aren't many deer up there anymore. I hunted opening day there two years ago and I saw no deer and only heard three shots.

Not to say that there are no deer there, but they're not as common as they once were and it will take a lot of scouting and walking around to find them.

I'm hoping to take a weekend for a coyote trip up there as soon as the weather gets a little warmer.

(Columbia County)

The Tioga county area, IE. around the grand canyon has been hunted out quite extensively, if you get up that way to scout stop in at Babbs Creek Inn in the town of morris, its between Rt 15 and the town of Wellsboro. My aunt owns the bar and our family has been in that valley for over 50 years, thiers not many people out there who know those hills better. If you stop in just talk to any of the locals and you'll get a true feel for just how over hunted the area has become. I personally live in Bloomsburg in Columbia county and about 5 years ago out of disgust for 5 days of grueling deer drives that netted 5 deer with a party of 25 hunters... I started hunting the state game lands around my area. There are about 25000 acres of state game land scattered between the catawissa and berwick areas and it is all easily accessed from RT 80. The deer population is overwhelming and we would greatly appreciate thinning the herd down some. Check it out, this spring. If you need exact directions on accessing these areas drop me a message and i'll gladly get them to you. Happy Hunting!!

(Bucks County)

I hunt every year near state college. This year we shot 12 deer out of our camp which we had 15 hunters. Three bucks which were all average size. Before the new laws were enacted our camp we would shot around the same number and size. This year was not the norm though. We were only shooting on average around three deer. LETS GET BACK TO OLD TIMES

(Lancaster County)

THANKS GUYS, I have done some trout fishing around Morris, and love the area. I think the way things are going in the state, the best bet is to find a LARGE SGL or other public land, and start walking to get far away from the other guys. that is where I'll probably head with my GPS.

(Jefferson County)

Your best bet for hunting success would be to hunt around Bedford PA or even Johnstown / Somerset area.

The deer in my area have been hunted into extinction and only the few lucky hunters got more than one shot this year at a deer.

I didn't see a buck, other than one that I saw standing in the backyard of a State Cop's house eating at his deer feeder - next to the posted sign.

I hunted everyday from morning till night.