Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Mom's marksmanship badges

I was rummaging through some old stuff tonight and ran across a little cedar jewellery box that was my mom's when she was a young girl. Inside was all of her NRA marksmanship patches, badges and pins that she won, I'm presuming from her school's rifle team, but I'm not sure. I know that they're hers. Just not sure where she won them.

Thought some folks might get a kick out of what types of competition were available to a farm girl in western PA during the 1950s.

Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Berks County)

Default Re: Mom's marksmanship badges

Cool. You should make one of those collage boxes, or whatever they are called.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    They are called "oh that's her junk." Except in this case

I won one at summer camp and I never received it.

(Mercer County)

Very nice that takes me back to the good days...The time in the US of A when a person could buy a firearm at Western Auto, the local hardware or drug store, or win a pistol on a punch card. Before firearms had to registered. Those are a trip down memory lane for us "old timers" that grew up in the '50s. Before the Gun Control Act of '68 when a person could order a firearm through a catalog or the NRA. I still have Model 1911 and a .30-40 Krag I purchased through the NRA.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    Very nice that takes me back to the good days....
    Do you remember "Ye Olde Hunter's" ads from the back of the Rifleman?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Berks County)

That is very cool stuff!!! Any pictures of your mom shooting?...that would be a great centerpiece for a "collage box" like that.

Funny, my brothers and I were just discussing our Dad (now passed on), he was on one of the Army shooting teams for a few years in the late 50's early 60's. He said when they weren't competing against other Army and service units, they were helping out the civilian shooters at the matches. Everything was sponsored by the DCM/CMP and the NRA. Lot of young shooters and he talked fondly of it. I have his trophies for now, you have some great stuff there to be proud of.

Man....this was really a great country once.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    That is very cool stuff!!! Any pictures of your mom shooting?...that would be a great centerpiece for a "collage box" like that.

Funny, my brothers and I were just discussing our Dad (now passed on), he was on one of the Army shooting teams for a few years in the late 50's early 60's. He said when they weren't competing against other Army and service units, they were helping out the civilian shooters at the matches. Everything was sponsored by the DCM/CMP and the NRA. Lot of young shooters and he talked fondly of it. I have his trophies for now, you have some great stuff there to be proud of.

Man....this was really a great country once.
    No photos of her shooting that I've ever seen. The only photos she ever showed me that she was proud of were of her on a horse riding barrels and jumps, etc. To her, shooting was just something you did, like mowing the lawn. You lived in the country, you knew how to shoot. End of story.

Sadly she died way back in '91 when I still had my head up my butt. There's lots of things I wish I could pick her brain about today.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Delaware County)

That is some really cool stuff. Great find.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(York County)

Those are a great reminder of your Mom. I'm sure I would have enjoyed meeting her. My grandparents were both acknowledged shooters and I can fondly remember shooting with my grandfather. Some buddies and I were talking recently, remembering taking our rifles to school for team practice and remarking how we would walk into school carrying them. Can you imagine what would happen today if 3 or 4 students were spotted entering their high school carrying guns? Back then no one even bothered to look... How times have changed for the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    Shadow box. They're not girly, Boy Scouts make them too.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast