Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Holland

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: New Holland

The company I work for has a plant out in Lancaster, and I drive right past the Sportsman's Shop on my way home. I got out early today and figured I try out a rental gun or two. I get inside and ask the nice lady behind the counter to recommend a DA/SA 9mm, as that's what I'm interested in. She told me that I should probably talk to a salesman first, who can make a recommendation (I was hoping to avoid salesmen, as if I purchase, it'll be at a local store to me). Anyhoo, I agree and as I'm walking over to the sales area she suggests that I ask the salesman to be my "buddy" in the range, because I was alone.

At this point I inquire as to what she means. Short and sweet of it is that due to the incidents at French Creek and Targetmaster, they will not rent guns to single people. The exception is that you must bring your own gun (you don't actually have to shoot it, you just have to basically prove that if you wanted to off yourself, you could've done it home with your own gun). I asked if my LTCF was good enough.... nope.

Looks like all of my rental trials will be at French Creek from now on. Bummer, Sportsman Shop's range is super convenient.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    The company I work for has a plant out in Lancaster, and I drive right past the Sportsman's Shop on my way home. I got out early today and figured I try out a rental gun or two. I get inside and ask the nice lady behind the counter to recommend a DA/SA 9mm, as that's what I'm interested in. She told me that I should probably talk to a salesman first, who can make a recommendation (I was hoping to avoid salesmen, as if I purchase, it'll be at a local store to me). Anyhoo, I agree and as I'm walking over to the sales area she suggests that I ask the salesman to be my "buddy" in the range, because I was alone.

At this point I inquire as to what she means. Short and sweet of it is that due to the incidents at French Creek and Targetmaster, they will not rent guns to single people. The exception is that you must bring your own gun (you don't actually have to shoot it, you just have to basically prove that if you wanted to off yourself, you could've done it home with your own gun). I asked if my LTCF was good enough.... nope.

Looks like all of my rental trials will be at French Creek from now on. Bummer, Sportsman Shop's range is super convenient.
    If you were the business owner, how would you do it different?

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    If you were the business owner, how would you do it different?
    If that's they're logic shouldn't they not sell guns and ammo to single people?

(Lancaster County)

Geez guys what's the issue? They're doing something proactive to cover their ass somewhat. Imagine the lawsuit " For a $20 rental fee my darling boy was able to rent a gun and kill himself".

(Montgomery County)

Sure, I know why theyy are doing it. But french creek will actually rent me a gun, so why would I support a business that doesn't. Not to mention french creek experienced the "issue" first hand, doesn't seem to have affected their operation.

As to how I would do it differently, my ltcf plainly states that i've been able to own firearms for quite some time, should be enough - coupled with my request for a very specific action type...

Anyhoo, it's their business, they can run it how they choose. Unfortunately for me, it means they will lose out on a few hundred bucks of sales a year. I'm sure they'll survive.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    Sure, I know why theyy are doing it. But french creek will actually rent me a gun, so why would I support a business that doesn't. Not to mention french creek experienced the "issue" first hand, doesn't seem to have affected their operation.

As to how I would do it differently, my ltcf plainly states that i've been able to own firearms for quite some time, should be enough - coupled with my request for a very specific action type...

Anyhoo, it's their business, they can run it how they choose. Unfortunately for me, it means they will lose out on a few hundred bucks of sales a year. I'm sure they'll survive.
    Requiring a LTCF to go in alone might not be a bad idea. Would people still complain about that?

I feel bad for the poor schmuck employee that gets tasked to be the 'range buddy' for the individuals the company thinks are more likely to be suicidal!

"Hey Joe, that guy looks like he might shoot himself. Go be his buddy while he's shooting a rental gun that he probably knows next to nothing about. Er, good luck!"

(Lancaster County)

How is this a slight in anyway shape or form? Why is everything a battle? Why not take your own gun and if you want, rent whatever you want. It's that important to be able to rent a gun and shoot alone?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    How is this a slight in anyway shape or form? Why is everything a battle?
    It's not (but apparently you think it is?) The store and I have differing opinions. There is no right or wrong. I just felt I'd let everybody know about this UNWRITTEN rule they have.

Why not take your own gun and if you want, rent whatever you want. It's that important to be able to rent a gun and shoot alone?
    Apparently you don't comprehend my OP.... It's on the way home from a WORK LOCATION. Why on earth would I have friend with me while driving home from WORK. Hopefully you understand how that statement answers BOTH your counterpoints......
    Last edited by Royinmontco; March 9th, 2016 at 08:56 PM.

(Berks County)

I was there the other week, very nice store and a nice range set up! I hope their business picks up on weekends because there was no one else in the place except for employees while I was there. If I was looking to shoot indoors I'd have no problem playing their game because I'd have my own piece with me anyway! Sure wouldn't want to be the poor schlub that would have to go in there to clean up someone's brains!
    Last edited by loknload; March 10th, 2016 at 09:30 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Whatever man. I was just trying to understand. You seemed offended by the policy.
    My suggestion was to take your own gun with you. Unless of course that isn't possible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast