Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default shooting steel plates

Is there a general distance rule for shooting steel plates from pistols and rifles? Or are people using special ammo, like frangible ammo?

I see lots of videos of people shooting steel from very close ranges (with pistols).

(Washington County)

Default Re: shooting steel plates

I have shot steel with plated and FMJ. I usually don't shoot any closer than 10 yards.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Tioga County)

One place I work we shot steel plate from 7 yards or less with pistol. After seeing my boss take a full metal jacket from a 9mm right below his eye, I'd prefer a bit further back myself. We had protective eye wear on and all, but still.

My club has a nice cowboy action setup with steel plates at varying distances. The closest is 7 yds. Only lead projectiles are allowed on that range, but I shoot the Berry copper washed bullets without problem.

I always wear eye protection at the range. I'm half deaf now. Being blind would really suck.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    My club has a nice cowboy action setup with steel plates at varying distances. The closest is 7 yds. Only lead projectiles are allowed on that range, but I shoot the Berry copper washed bullets without problem.

I always wear eye protection at the range. I'm half deaf now. Being blind would really suck.
    I went to a cowboy action event several years ago as a spectator. I was fairly far back from the shooting and I was hit in the chest with a ricochet. I felt it hit me and it startled me but it wasn't enough to hurt me, so part of the reason why I am curious about being close to the target.

I see your are in perry county so I assume that is the Ickesburg range? Thats where the event was held that I went to.

(York County)

Over thirty plus years I have seen a number of incidents of bounce back from steel plates have hit shooters on the line. None have resulted in serious injury, but were alarming nevertheless when it happens to you or the person near you.

I believe the minimum range considered safe to use lead projectiles is about 10 yards. FMJ projectiles are esp. dangerous at close range since while lead will completely flatten or simply disintegrate against a steel plate that is not so with hardball. Jacketed bullets tend to stay more of less intact when they strike a solid target and that can be a really unsafe issue.

I'm not going to say that you can't use hardball on steel plates, but unless I had the range to myself and can stay well back I don't think it is such a good idea.

plates slightly angled forward are a must, unless they can fall away/down.

I've seen tards shoot plates at 90* up close and they wonder why all you hear is stuff whizzing around you.

I learned my lesson when i was younger from shooting 90* plates with a CZ-52. 15' away and I got whacked with a ricochet in the head. Hurt ,but didnt leave much of a mark.
    a slow death awaits you,but not before love reminds you that there is good in you

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    I went to a cowboy action event several years ago as a spectator. I was fairly far back from the shooting and I was hit in the chest with a ricochet. I felt it hit me and it startled me but it wasn't enough to hurt me, so part of the reason why I am curious about being close to the target.

I see your are in perry county so I assume that is the Ickesburg range? Thats where the event was held that I went to.
    Yep. Ickesburg Sportsmans Assn. i live about two miles away & try to get back there at least once a week. That cowboy action range is good training. It doesn't take me very long to blow away 2-300 rounds from my Wilson or TRP shooting the different stages. I only do it when nobody else is around because I don't want to get in the way of the real cowboy shooters.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

cowboy action shooters are probably the last group I'd want to get into a real gun fight with.
    a slow death awaits you,but not before love reminds you that there is good in you

Quote Originally Posted by Stooperzero View Post
    cowboy action shooters are probably the last group I'd want to get into a real gun fight with.
    Yeah! Even with them shooting single action revolvers! Those guys wear guns out.
    Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast