Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Hunter-Trapper Education course help

I am a New York resident and I have never taken a hunter-trapper education course and I have never owned a hunting license. I plan to get a hunting license for NY State and for PA and I was wondering I could take a hunter-trapper Education course in PA because it would be easier while I'm at school here? And would a certification from a PA Hunter-Trapper Education Course allow me to get a license in PA and New York?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Hunter-Trapper Education course help

PA allows you to take the hunter/trapper education course online. https://www.hunter-ed.com/pennsylvania/

Once you have a hunting license from one state, that is usually enough to get a license in another state. I'm assuming you would be good to go in NY with a PA hunter education course, but I would just call NY's Sportsmen Education #: 1-888-486-8332 and ask them to make sure.

Also, where is your legal residence right now? That will also factor into whether you would be getting a resident or nonresident in either state.
    Opera Non Verba

Default Re: Hunter-Trapper Education course help

I am a PA resident and was able to show my PA Hunter Trapper Education card to the clerk in NY the first time I purchased an out of state license. THIS WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO PURCHASE AN ARCHERY HUNTING PRIVILEGE IN NY. You MUST take a bow hunter safety course. I just took one in NY and it was a total of 8 hours with time on the range shooting bows (they supplied them). Hope this helps.