Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Exclamation Loss of Events Section Will Undermine All 2A Efforts on this Forum

This is really, really bad. The calender does not serve the purpose the events section did. This website is the biggest political outreach site in Pennsylvania that is not a firearms PAC/club, with the possible exception of AMGOA.

This MUST be fixed. If the owners of the site don't want to do what it takes to restore functionality to it then start a new forum section at least just for firearms political efforts and assign a mod or admin to sticky submissions. Require a date and description format in the thread title and edit those that don't meet the format. And provide a link to the calender at the top.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Loss of Events Section Will Undermine All 2A Efforts on this Forum

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    This is really, really bad. The calender does not serve the purpose the events section did. This website is the biggest political outreach site in Pennsylvania that is not a firearms PAC/club, with the possible exception of AMGOA.

This MUST be fixed. If the owners of the site don't want to do what it takes to restore functionality to it then start a new forum section at least just for firearms political efforts and assign a mod or admin to sticky submissions. Require a date and description format in the thread title and edit those that don't meet the format. And provide a link to the calender at the top.
    +1
    The calender sucks as a replacement for the events section.

(Luzerne County)

I have to agree with the above.

(Allegheny County)

I have to agree with the above, and the above the above, and the above above both of those too.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I have to agree with the above, and the above the above, and the above above both of those too.
    I agree with the grumpy old man.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I agree with the grumpy old man.
    can you be more specific, please?
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    can you be more specific, please?

(Berks County)

First off, the lack of an Events forum (or returning such functionality as it once existed) has nothing to do with Dan or the staff "doing what it takes". We use vBulletin as the forum software, and have for years, because quite frankly it works fairly well. The new version of vB doesn't support an Events-style forum. Not much we can do about that.

In addition, I can pretty much guarantee that a forum/sub-forum where the staff has to manually replicate the functionality of the Events forum isn't going to work. Our staff are unpaid volunteers who quite frankly don't have time to check each thread submission to an Event forum, and hand-edit them to guarantee conformance with a set of guidelines. If we just create a general forum without guidelines, and delete the threads that are crap, that might work. We can also try a forum that requires mod/admin approval to post in, like the old News forum; this would give mods the ability to review and approve threads for public viewing assuming they fit the desired format.

With all that said, I agree that a high-visibility "clearinghouse" for statewide events like shows, political rallies, elections, etc. is a good thing. I'll direct the staff to this thread, and solicit some opinions from them, as they/we will be the ones that have to do whatever work is necessary as a result of the ideas posed.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; August 2nd, 2015 at 03:10 PM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Northampton County)

That's a lot of arguing about technical minutiae to agree with almost the exact recommendation I made. I know why the events section doesn't work anymore, I'm here almost every day. And I know it can be fixed ANY way, with no limitations, provided there is a will. I understand the limitations are in the latter respect.

Thank you for championing this. This is extremely important. IMO, you have an obligation as admin to get this site functioning effectively again with respect to allowing organization of political action and events, if nothing else at all. And I was confident you would step up, as you have. Thanks again.

(Allegheny County)

The Pittsburgh pafoa group shoots are a good example of what happens when there are no event threads.
    Nobody knows about them now and there is no way to even drum up interest.

It was fun while it lasted (since 2007) though.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast