Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default no firearm experience

want to become armed security guard,looking for some advise about the act 235 training,with very little experience using hand gun. ADVICE PLEASE!!!

(Berks County)

Default Re: no firearm experience

I can not give you advise on 235 training. I know there are classes for that. I can however give you solid advise on how to start off to become proficient with the handgun. Get yourself a high quality air pistol. An accurate one with good sights and trigger. A target air gun. Lots of ammo. Learn your sight picture and trigger control without noise and recoil. When you can pull the trigger without disturbing the sights you will have nice little groups and you can move onto cartridge guns. I promise you will be leaps and bounds ahead by doing it this way. Not to mention having saved a lot of cash to get there.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    I can not give you advise on 235 training. I know there are classes for that. I can however give you solid advise on how to start off to become proficient with the handgun. Get yourself a high quality air pistol. An accurate one with good sights and trigger. A target air gun. Lots of ammo. Learn your sight picture and trigger control without noise and recoil. When you can pull the trigger without disturbing the sights you will have nice little groups and you can move onto cartridge guns. I promise you will be leaps and bounds ahead by doing it this way. Not to mention having saved a lot of cash to get there.
    This is solid advice. You could also take the nra first steps pistol course to familiarize yourself.

If you find yourself near the Blair/Cambria county line , I have some 22 handguns and ammo you can play with.

Thanks for great advice,i think going with hi powered air pistol is a great way for me to practice.

(Bucks County)

You might want to get an Airsoft pistol. I always thought they were just toys for kids but after researching them and getting one its a lot of fun. They are close copies of the real pistols and are available in many popular models. They even have the same controls and operation. Some of the parts even look like they would interchange with a real one (but thy are cheap pot metal). For realism / training you want one with gas blowback (GBB) operation and one made of "all metal". On every shot the slide will rack, chamber a new "bullet", and it will lock back on the last round so you can practice mag changes. They are surprisingly accurate at close ranges and you can shoot them in your backyard or basement.

You want the "green gas" pistols not the CO2 models. Green gas is just unscented propane with a drop of silicon oil. You can buy an adapter that fits on a disposable camp stove propane can and its very cheap to shoot (just smells a little). You need to put a drop of silicone oil in the adapter every few magazines though.

I have a 1911 copy. Except for the orange tip its hard to tell it from a real one sitting side by side. The operation / controls are identical and even the takedown is the same.

http://www.evike.com/products/30127/
    Last edited by Delkal; August 2nd, 2015 at 03:00 PM.

(Delaware County)

Great advice and a generous offer. Not bad. Just want to add, I know a few NRA instructors and they stick to their agenda when training someone; very effective!