Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default WWYD? Bizarre situation

Chatting with a (female) co-worker today. She tells me a story that contains the following facts:

• This story is from 2 weeks ago
    • Her daughter decided to go through Wilkensburg (can't remember what the reason was)
    • Daughter is 20 years old
    • Daughter gets lost (or something), stops along side of the road or in a parking lot for a minute to check her phone
    • Man gets in back of car. Says he needs to get a ride to his Mercedes....or $50, so he can get there.
    • Daughter refuses both requests
    • Man refuses to get out of car
    • Daughter calls her mother, requesting instructions on what to do
    • Not sure what instructions were - other than "we don't give money to strangers", but against advice, daughter drives man to our place of employment, so mom can get him out of car
    • Mother indicates she didn't call 911 because she didn't want to get off phone with daughter (not clear why she didn't use desk phone)
    • Mother, with one of our security guards, meets daughter with car and man in back
    • Security guard takes no strong actions
    • Mother, after much cajoling of man, gets him to get out of car
    • At no time does man present a weapon, or becomes particularly aggressive - he simply refuses to get out of car

There is a lot of fail in this story. Sure, we'd all like to just shoot the fucker, drag him out of the car and leave him on the side of the road. However, because he is not overtly aggressive, does not present a weapon, and you are free to leave the car (and take keys with you) any time you wish, you have an obvious and readily-accessible means of escape, so shooting him is not really necessary, nor is it probably your best course of action here.

Yeah, girl should not have been driving with doors unlocked. Yeah, girl should not have called mommy to request advice on what to do. But she did both.

I'd like to think I would do the following:

• Get out of car, with my keys, and get far away
    • Call 911, report car jacking, request immediate assistance
    • Maintain situational awareness and be ready to shoot the fucker if it becomes necessary

Just curious what you guys think about this, and, if you were going to have a "how to get through life" chit-chat with your 20 year old daughter (or son I guess) on what to do in situations like this, ONCE THE SITUATION HAS OCCURRED (is in progress), how it should be handled.
    Last edited by free; July 30th, 2015 at 04:41 PM.

Default Re: WWYD? Bizarre situation

I'd run spell check first.
    a slow death awaits you,but not before love reminds you that there is good in you

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stooperzero View Post
    I'd run spell check first.
    I was still in the process of composing/editing when you posted. I'm done now (:

(Lancaster County)

What do I think of the situation? It's fucked up. What to do? Get out of the car and call the cops while putting distance between you.

Calling mom ?!
    Keep other doors locked at all times.
    Etcetera

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

This story makes no sense at all. I wouldn't have the time nor the patience to talk to mother & daughter to find out what really happened.

(Montgomery County)

I would get out of the car with the keys and call 911. I would also take a photo showing he was in the car. I would not call in a carjacking because that is not what happened. I just say a man who I do not know got into my car, and he refuses to leave it. I am out of the car and some distance from my vehicle. Please send someone to get the man out of my car. If the man left the car and came toward me, the standard rules would apply to when shooting is justified. If the man got out of the car and started to walk away I would photograph him to provide police some chance of identifying him. I keep a gun on my belt and an iPhone in my shirt pocket all the time.

(Bucks County)

We need to see the pics of the mother and daughter before we proceed.

(Delaware County)

What car made since about about 1978 doesn't automatically lock the doors when you accelerate over 5mph? (I believe there is usually an override/disable sequence outlined in the owners manual but most just leave as is).
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Jefferson County)

A reminder that PA's Castle Doctrine now includes unlawful entries into occupied vehicles. ...and no threat or weapon need be present for the application of deadly force to be justified. ...just merely entering someone else's vehicle while they are in it can warrant shooting them.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Si
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    What car made since about about 1978 doesn't automatically lock the doors when you accelerate over 5mph? (I believe there is usually an override/disable sequence outlined in the owners manual but most just leave as is).
    my wife's 2012 SX4 doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    A reminder that PA's Castle Doctrine now includes unlawful entries into occupied vehicles. ...and no threat or weapon need be present for the application of deadly force to be justified. ...just merely entering someone else's vehicle while they are in it can warrant shooting them.
    but all things considered, not necessarily your best move.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast