Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Hydrodip or paint?

I recently ordered a boyds "pro varmint" (aka tacticool) stock for my savage 64 FV-SR. I am thinking about hydro dipping it, I wanted an fde digital camo style dip. I'm not sure about the longevity of hydrodipping, I have no experience with it and I don't have any close friends that have done it. How much does it usually cost? I have only gotten one response from ~7 vendors I emailed. He gave me a price of $140. Is that high? I'm seriously considering just spraying it fde for 10 bucks and calling it a day but since it is a synthetic stock I'm worried about the adhesion and longevity of the finish.

Any input would be great.

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: Hydrodip or paint?

I painted 2 AR's with rattle can paint from Walley world. It was cheap, easy & I was pleased with the results. That being said, anywhere on the rifle that is handled frequently, or rubbed by slings, the paint is coming off. I also spilled a little Hoppes #9 solvent on a spot and it took the paint right back off. I have no regrets using this method, as I know if I want to return to the original black gun it will be little hassle to remove the paint.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685