Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snakes

(Montgomery County)

Default Snakes

Have any of you guys ever discharged a firearm at a snake on property that was not your own ? I've been thinking about this alot lately with all the fishing i do. We have plenty of copperheads around here,and i'm not super excited about getting nailed by one.Avoidance is best obviously but not always possible.Would that be considered legal under certain circumstances.It could be considered self defense right ? Obviousley not if there is 100 people around but i fish remote spots and sometimes at night.I just read about a girl getting bit by a copperhead and the hospital bill was like 50 grand.Something to think about i guess . Any thoughts ?

Default Re: Snakes

Well if this is a total legit concern.
    I would have to say that despite me having hands like lightning , I have never encountered a snake with whom I couldn't step out of the way faster than I could slap leather.
    So that'd be my advise since you only want to not get bite and don't seem to be concerned with ridding your property of them.
    Glorious it is not.
    But it's quick , sure and cheap.
    I'm not sure how avoidance wouldn't be possible in the woods , maybe you're in a box canyon or something?????
    But now if the snake has you boxed in with no escape and is coming for you with eyes all crazy like .................... I'd shoot it regardless of who said what.
    The 2 snakes that will get you , is the one you didn't see ................... so how are you going to shoot it first?
    And the one you are playing with ................. that's when Darwin steps in.
    Last edited by Boondox; July 23rd, 2015 at 09:29 PM.

(Wyoming County)

I've had 3 Timber Rattlesnakes in my yard over the last couple weeks. We have a new puppy so we are a little concerned for the dog. I've been doing a lot of googling and I found some info on the Fish & Boat Commission site.

"17. I killed a timber rattlesnake on the porch of my camp. Can I get it mounted?
    PA Fish and Boat Commission regulations provide that a person may kill a venomous snake in defense of life and limb. This can be done regardless of the season. However, by law a person must report to the Commission in writing within 5 days, that such a killing occurred. Persons killing a venomous snake in defense of life and limb are not permitted to retain the snake. So, you would not be able to keep the snake and get it mounted.

10. Can I kill a timber rattlesnake or any snake with a firearm?
    No, it is now unlawful to take, catch, or kill a reptile or amphibian through the use of a firearm.

Link: http://www.fishandboat.com/faqampr.htm#v10

I'm a little confused if you can use a firearm in self defense?
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Bucks County)

Just this week there was a report of a guy dying from a rattlesnake bite up near Elk county. When I read the story, at first, I got the impression that he had caught it and was playing with it. Then I got an email from an old service buddy that knows the dead guy. Word is, the guy wasn't the type to do that. Sounds like he reached for a piece of wood from the pile and it got him.

I got an emailed pic of one crossing the road today in Franklin, Venango county. Big one going by its size compared to the double yellow line it was crossing.
    I'm a huge fan of snake-shot in .357

Just like above, most folks that take a bite have no idea the snake is even there, ie. Woodpile. Don't just shoot snakes to shoot snakes is my advice.

(Westmoreland County)

Just wear leather boots and be mindful of your surroundings if you have to get your hands near the ground. I've encountered lots of copperheads and rattlesnakes. Like others have said you can back off easily enough. The snake doesn't want to be bothered anymore than you do.
    Last edited by pennlineman; July 24th, 2015 at 05:58 AM.

(Berks County)

You guys are seeing copperheads? I live not far from the OP, and I have never seen a copperhead - but he reports "plenty ... around here". I'm asking, very respectfully, is it possible the snakes are not copperheads?

Ray
    Boyertown, Berks County.

(Montgomery County)

i know a guy that has a farm near the pheasnt rd. game lands that killed a baby one with the weedwhacker, did'nt even see it till after. A few years back me and my buddy saw one at the Perkiomen.We do have them,but i suppose the likleyhood of seeing one isnt that good,but possible.The story about the 50 thousand dollar hospital bill is what bothers me though.Spend enough time outdoors and its bound to happen eventually

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by d4xycrq View Post
    You guys are seeing copperheads? I live not far from the OP, and I have never seen a copperhead - but he reports "plenty ... around here". I'm asking, very respectfully, is it possible the snakes are not copperheads?

Ray
    Boyertown, Berks County.
    Couple of snakes out there that look like copperheads that are non venomous, milk snake come to mind.

(Berks County)

Appreciate the info - will keep an eye out for them. Have plenty of places on my property that would be copperhead heaven. (stone walls, brush piles, two ponds, steam, etc)
    Now, the water snakes on the ponds can be little bad asses some times. They have attitude! But non-venomous.

Ray

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast