Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default shooting on own land

My brother and I own a house in Carbon county. We have the opportunity to buy some acreage nearby.

I have questions regarding shooting on the land.

1.Can I make my own private range. Just for my family and I, nothing commercial or public or anything. (I have a tractor. I can safely make berms, etc...)

2. Am I going to run into a problem with hunting season? If I shoot my AR at said range, would a game warden be able to prosecute me because I might be hunting with a semi auto?

Default Re: shooting on own land

I believe you may have to check the local codes concerning firearm discharge in the borough. Welcome to Carbon, TRUE land of the free!

(Berks County)

Uj
    Quote Originally Posted by lunicy View Post
    My brother and I own a house in Carbon county. We have the opportunity to buy some acreage nearby.

I have questions regarding shooting on the land.

1.Can I make my own private range. Just for my family and I, nothing commercial or public or anything. (I have a tractor. I can safely make berms, etc...)

2. Am I going to run into a problem with hunting season? If I shoot my AR at said range, would a game warden be able to prosecute me because I might be hunting with a semi auto?
    Short version:
    1. Yes
    2. No

To elaborate, there is no PA criminal offense of shooting at your own private range. If the municipality has an ordinance against it, that ordinance is most likely illegally enacted in violation of 6120, and I know lawyers who would love to address that. Make sure the range is constructed properly, so you don't have any issues with the 'Recklessly Endangering" section. If done safely, should be a non-issue.
    Game warden would have to have evidence that you were actively engaged in hunting. Practicing at a private range does not meet that criteria, unless you have freshly killed animals in front of the targets, or salt licks hanging from the target frames.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    He's allowed because he's special.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by jw34 View Post
    Uj

Short version:
    1. Yes
    2. No

snipped a bit

Game warden would have to have evidence that you were actively engaged in hunting. Practicing at a private range does not meet that criteria, unless you have freshly killed animals in front of the targets, or salt licks hanging from the target frames.
    Read Title 34 for yourself! Pay special attention to this Section:

§ 923. Possession prima facie evidence of violation.
    In all cases of violation of any provision of this title, the
    possession of game or wildlife or parts thereof or the
    possession or operation of equipment or other devices unlawfully
    used or prohibited under this title shall be prima facie
    evidence of the violation.
    Somewhere in the back of my mind I recall hearing it said that being afield with a "rifle/shotgun" was considered hunting at least during hunting season. If you're still unsure speak to your local Game Commission officer.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post

Somewhere in the back of my mind I recall hearing it said that being afield with a "rifle/shotgun" was considered hunting at least during hunting season. If you're still unsure speak to your local Game Commission officer.
    Yeah, I'd fight the crap out of that in court. Target shooting on private property, at a specifically constructed range, is clearly different than walking thru the woods "target shooting" at or near furry critters.

I'm no Title 34 expert, but if that was the only applicable section, everyone in the state shooting an AR at a private range during any hunting season would be in violation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    He's allowed because he's special.

(Berks County)

If neighbors hear shooting, they may call police. If/when they respond, nothing will likely happen. Depending on where you live (I know nothing of Carbon County), there might be a noise ordinance that a neighbor may use to try to get you to not shoot. I believe the police might be required to address that. If that happened to me though, I'd be sitting at my property line with an SPL meter waiting for that neighbor to start his lawnmower

(Tioga County)

Shooting range recommendations from my perspective:

1. Build a range out of sight of neighbors.
    2. Build range as far away from neighbors as is possible.
    3. Gate any access and post it.
    4. Make a more than adequate, long lasting backstop. Personally I would take advantage of PA's natural hilly terrain to do so.

(Lycoming County)

6120 does not deal with discharging of firearms. That can still be regulated by municipalities.

Be safe (and contact the Township for the ordinances).

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by jw34 View Post
    Uj

Short version:
    1. Yes
    2. No

To elaborate, there is no PA criminal offense of shooting at your own private range. If the municipality has an ordinance against it, that ordinance is most likely illegally enacted in violation of 6120, and I know lawyers who would love to address that. Make sure the range is constructed properly, so you don't have any issues with the 'Recklessly Endangering" section. If done safely, should be a non-issue.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post

This has been addressed by section 2525.

(Chester County)

I just read entire Pa firearm statues....the only way this is legal is if you throw an annual bar b que at your private range and invite PAFOA members who respond to this thread.
    Really, it's true, I read it on the Internet.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast