Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail

I need a suggestion for a good place to start a day hike (out and back, maybe 5-6 hours) near Somerset. My wife and I will be staying in Somerset for a few days, and are looking for a nice hike with good views for one day.

Thanks,
    Rock-it3
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail

I could give you some suggestions. How many miles are you guys good for? Are you 2 mph hikers or 3 mph hikers?

(Dauphin County)

I would guess closer to two than three. We are probably good for 10-12 miles.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    I would guess closer to two than three. We are probably good for 10-12 miles.
    OK, here's one that would fit the bill. Start at the Rt. 30 trailhead (around mile 46) and head south. The first mile goes across a couple of nice streams and heads up a pretty good hill as it threads through a rock city. The next mile winds through rocks and mountain laurel thickets, and then the trail levels out and gets easier through open forest. Beam Rocks is around mile 41. The trail goes below the rocks and then starts to climb a hill. The yellow-blazed LHHT will turn to the left partway up the hill - keep going up instead. There's a great overlook at the top of the rocks, which are maybe 100' high (I'm guessing). I think the out-and-back will be about 11 miles. Warning - I just backpacked through there a couple of weeks ago, and there was some serious mud in a few sections. Boots were a necessity. It has probably dried out some since then, though.

Maybe someone else will have another suggestion, but I think that's one of the nicer sections of the trail, with lots of variety for a 10-12 mi hike. If you go, post some pictures and let us know how it was!

ETA: That's only a 20-min drive from Somerset on Rt. 219/Rt. 30. Trail map at http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/group...cnr_010009.pdf
    Last edited by scruff; July 22nd, 2015 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Added map link

(Somerset County)

When are you going to be in Somerset? I live here and would be willing to pick you up along the trail somewhere instead of doing the out and back thingie. Or we could just meet for dinner somewhere. But not this weekend, I've already got plans.

I've no info on the trail, never been on it.

There's another guy from the Somerset area here too but I haven't talked to him in a while.

Dale

(Allegheny County)

I've done Scruff's trail a few times and it's a great section to hike. Lots of diversity.

You may also want to take a look at Linn Run. Shorter, but easier walking that follows Linn Run in spots.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...innrun/#hiking
    Last edited by Hawk; July 23rd, 2015 at 02:23 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Berks County)

Sounds like a good trail, may have to check that out!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Dauphin County)

Thanks for the input guys, and thanks for the offer, dk99538. We will be out there this weekend, until Tuesday, and have one day planned for hiking. The other days are booked with other activities. The hike that scruff suggested seems like it will be perfect, so we are settled on that. We will definitely take some pics and post them in this thread, scruff.

(Allegheny County)

Make sure you register at the trail head. So the wardens can know who's car is parked there and how long you plan on being out. Also make sure you are starting in the right direction on that trail. It's a little confusing on which direction is the one you want.
    Toujours prêt

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Make sure you register at the trail head. So the wardens can know who's car is parked there and how long you plan on being out. Also make sure you are starting in the right direction on that trail. It's a little confusing on which direction is the one you want.
    Is that for day hikers too? I've only filled out a card when backpacking.

+1 on going in the right direction. On that hike, if you cross Rt. 30, you done gone the wrong way!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast