Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Wow! What a great hike, Scruff! It was perfect for us, and exactly as described. Extremely beautiful. We both enjoyed it immensely.

We started from the parking lot at about 11:30am, reached Beam Rocks around 1:45 (about 5 1/4 miles I think), stayed there for a bit, and got back to the car about 4:40pm. I had a good bit of trouble on the way back with pain in both knees. It has been a while since we hiked, or even walked a good distance, and I keep forgetting that I have to keep my legs in better shape, or my knees begin to hurt. The last 3 miles were at a much slower pace than the first seven. They are still a bit sore, but the hike was worth it. We had a blast.
    Glad you had a good time! I can sympathize about the knees, and would recommend that you get a good set of trekking poles. Poles take a good bit of stress off your knees by getting your upper body into the game, especially when you're climbing up & down over rocks.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Glad you had a good time! I can sympathize about the knees, and would recommend that you get a good set of trekking poles. Poles take a good bit of stress off your knees by getting your upper body into the game, especially when you're climbing up & down over rocks.
    Yes, we will be looking for poles. the biggest problem is going downhill, especially having to go down step-like sections. the stress on my knees of holding back just kills them. Pain on both sides of each knee, like a knife when it gets really bad. Got a recommendation for a brand name of poles?
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Yes, we will be looking for poles. the biggest problem is going downhill, especially having to go down step-like sections. the stress on my knees of holding back just kills them. Pain on both sides of each knee, like a knife when it gets really bad. Got a recommendation for a brand name of poles?
    Depends on how much you want to spend. I have two - one is a pair of Leki titanium poles, and the other is a pair of L.L. Bean carbon fiber poles. Black Diamond and Komperdell are good too. You can get cheaper poles at Walmart and some sporting goods stores, but REI has the best selection of quality poles. I'm guessing Cabela's has at least a few choices for quality poles. I like lightweight poles without the spring-loaded shock absorbers. The Leki poles are older, and the straps are hard to adjust, so I don't use them in the winter when I have to adjust the length of the straps when I switch or take off gloves.

(Allegheny County)

Nice Pics! That same hike is fantastic in the fall. You have to time it just right to get the maximum fall foliage colors. If you ever want to do a two or three day hike they have Adirondack shelters along the trail. Keeps you off the ground and lightens your pack a little because you don't have to hump a tent. My bother does these trails in the winter (he's a hiking nut).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hawk; July 30th, 2015 at 09:20 AM.
    Toujours prêt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123