Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Juniata County)

Default Wisconsin joins other States in Arming Guard, Penna lags behind.

GOV. SCOTT WALKER ARMS WISCONSIN NATIONAL GUARD IN WAKE OF CHATTANOOGA

On July 21, Governor Scott Walker (R) issued executive order #168 to arm the Wisconsin National Guard, allowing them, in the wake of the Chattanooga attack, to carry weapons while on duty.

The order acknowledges a “terror attack” on U.S. military offices in Chattanooga on July 16, as well as the five deaths that resulted. The order also notes that such “attacks are becoming more prevalent in recent years” and that “every precaution must be taken to ensure [Wisconsin] servicemen and women are protected from possible future attacks.”

The order then indicates that Article V, Section 4, of the Wisconsin Constitution “establishes the governor as the Commander-in-chief of the military and naval forces of the state,” giving him all power requisite to that role.

In light of these things, Walker authorized and directed the adjutant general “to arm certain Wisconsin National Guard personnel as reasonably necessary to preserve the lives, property, and security of themselves and other persons subject to the threat of an attack as occurred in Chattanooga.”

Upon issuing the order Walker said:

Safety must be our top priority, especially in light of the horrific attack in Chattanooga. Allowing our National Guard members to carry weapons while on duty gives them the tools they need to serve and protect our citizens, as well as themselves. I am also directing Adjutant General Donald Dunbar to evaluate longer-term plans to ensure the safety of our service members.

GOV. SCOTT WALKER ARMS WISCONSIN NATIONAL GUARD IN WAKE OF CHATTANOOGA

On July 21, Governor Scott Walker (R) issued executive order #168 to arm the Wisconsin National Guard, allowing them, in the wake of the Chattanooga attack, to carry weapons while on duty.

The order acknowledges a “terror attack” on U.S. military offices in Chattanooga on July 16, as well as the five deaths that resulted. The order also notes that such “attacks are becoming more prevalent in recent years” and that “every precaution must be taken to ensure [Wisconsin] servicemen and women are protected from possible future attacks.”

The order then indicates that Article V, Section 4, of the Wisconsin Constitution “establishes the governor as the Commander-in-chief of the military and naval forces of the state,” giving him all power requisite to that role.

In light of these things, Walker authorized and directed the adjutant general “to arm certain Wisconsin National Guard personnel as reasonably necessary to preserve the lives, property, and security of themselves and other persons subject to the threat of an attack as occurred in Chattanooga.”

Upon issuing the order Walker said:

Safety must be our top priority, especially in light of the horrific attack in Chattanooga. Allowing our National Guard members to carry weapons while on duty gives them the tools they need to serve and protect our citizens, as well as themselves. I am also directing Adjutant General Donald Dunbar to evaluate longer-term plans to ensure the safety of our service members.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Juniata County)

Default Re: Wisconsin joins other States in Arming Guard, Penna lags behind.

"Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Gov. Walker just keeps impressing me.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Many of the states that are allowing National Guard personnel to be armed are only allowing them to carry M9s with ball ammo. California (I was kinda surprised) is issueing military sidearms but the troops are limited to the armory property. They must disarm to leave the property for lunch, cannot transport military arms in a private vehicle, must turn in the pistol at the end of the duty day, etc... As you can guess this provides no protection when they are traveling to/from work.

If you want to be impressed, look into what Kentucky has done. Kentucky has been allowing National Guard troops to conceal carry private firearms since June 2013, over two years ago. The Governor and Adjutant General stipulate that members only need to follow state law. They have the right attitude, if a soldier can carry legally out of uniform than he/she has meet the standard. The can come and go from their duty location armed, they do not have to apply to their leadership for permission, the type of ammo of make of weapon is not dictated to them, and they have shown it can be done safely without micromanagement.

(Bucks County)

When states vary in their "allowing" self-protection, it renders "United" States un-united.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Many of the states that are allowing National Guard personnel to be armed are only allowing them to carry M9s with ball ammo. California (I was kinda surprised) is issueing military sidearms but the troops are limited to the armory property. They must disarm to leave the property for lunch, cannot transport military arms in a private vehicle, must turn in the pistol at the end of the duty day, etc... As you can guess this provides no protection when they are traveling to/from work.

If you want to be impressed, look into what Kentucky has done. Kentucky has been allowing National Guard troops to conceal carry private firearms since June 2013, over two years ago. The Governor and Adjutant General stipulate that members only need to follow state law. They have the right attitude, if a soldier can carry legally out of uniform than he/she has meet the standard. The can come and go from their duty location armed, they do not have to apply to their leadership for permission, the type of ammo of make of weapon is not dictated to them, and they have shown it can be done safely without micromanagement.
    That's exactly what should happen everywhere, maybe force those Liberaql bastions in NY, CA,MD,CT,NJ and MD to capitulate.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post

Military sidearms in privately own autos has been restricted for as long as I'm aware, recruiters use .gov autos, but most people working at the armories would not. Additionally you run into issues of accountability, so I understand why these restrictions are in place. As to issuing ball ammo, well, you issue what you have.

As to he Kentucky issue. The law in PA is completely silent on the matter, other than to say guardsmen are exempted from needing a LTCF well on a duty status. As a state agency I believe they would be prohibited from restricting lawful carry much like penndot.

Most of the sr NCOs I know carry. Many would be considers prepers. I have no idea if any of the officers even have a clue, most of then have fed jobs so who knows what they think.

But a clear policy like Kentucky would increase carry, as it would reduce fear of persecution.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"