Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Unhappy Non-Resident status

Just an FYI. As of today, the sheriff's department stated that they will only issue a non-resident license with the same restrictions (i.e., target, hunting, etc.) as the state of residency. He also stated that they encourage people apply in the County closest to the state in which they reside because, "to do otherwise looks suspicious." - Carl

(Berks County)

Default Re: Non-Resident status

Where was this stated?
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

Quote Originally Posted by donotknowme View Post
    Where was this stated?
    It was told to me by a deputy in the Sheriff's office in Reading. I already had tried Pike, Wayne, and Lancaster counties with no luck. The Lancaster sheriff's office stated that, because of some states (like New York) having restrictions on their carry permits, more and more of the PA sheriff's offices are not issuing non-resident licenses. He added the "suspicious" part when he reminded me of the geography - that I would have to pass through other counties closer to me to get to Reading.

It would be nice if every PA county used the same standard (as they are supposed to do) in issuing licenses. Some counties refuse to issue to non-residents while others will. Until they get their act together I don't see a problem with going to a county that actually follows the law as-written. And, in a shall-issue state, there is no reason you can't get the license in one trip. This business of having to return in a couple of weeks to pick up the issued license is pure BS, IMHO.
    IANAL. I don't give legal advice. I'm only stating my OPINION.
    (Did I really need to say that on an Internet forum? LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Boots_DE View Post
    It would be nice if every PA county used the same standard (as they are supposed to do) in issuing licenses. Some counties refuse to issue to non-residents while others will. Until they get their act together I don't see a problem with going to a county that actually follows the law as-written. And, in a shall-issue state, there is no reason you can't get the license in one trip. This business of having to return in a couple of weeks to pick up the issued license is pure BS, IMHO.
    While I fully agree with you, I fear that waiting - or hoping - that "they get their act together" may prove to be a log wait. As a New Yorker (with my PA roots), I can only tell you that it keeps getting worse here. I just had my guns shipped from PA to NY last week along with a new one that is my wife's first. When I brought them into our local PD and asked for all to be listed on each of our licenses - which THEIR printed manual/regulations states that a husband and wife can share the same guns - I was informed that "You can't do that anymore." The explanation? "You just can't. It changed." When I asked to see where it said that, I was informed that they did not have any current manuals (Hey, for $200.00 for EACH permit, why would I expect to get a hard copy when I can print one out at my own expense!). I replied that I looked at the new manual/regulations (which was 22 pages in 2012 but modified to 51 pages as of May 2015) and nothing was stated about such a change. With an attitude, he repeated that "It just did." Believe it or not, my local gun shop told me that their basis was that a couple who shared ownership went through a divorce and it became an issue of who owned the guns. So, maybe they are going to be changing the laws/rules about who gets the dog and everything else in future divorce cases. This is just one of the reasons my wife and I have been looking to move back to PA. And maybe where our votes will count! ~ Carl