Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default French Creek State Game Lands #43

Hello all. I am a new shooter/gun owner and am thinking of going to the state game land range at French Creek/Elverson after paying for the permit.

Can I shoot a .22 pistol there? Is there a 3-round limit in the mag?

I've seen some older posts about unsafe shooters/activities there. Can anyone provide a more recent experience?

Thanks

Default Re: French Creek State Game Lands #43

This is another reason I joined the Delco Feild and Stream. The safety factor up there is dicey at best, people were totally unaware that there were "Saftey rules" posted on the table stations, and I haven't been up in maybe 5 years. I don't know how it its now with the permitting of use.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Somerset County)

It's been a while since I shot there but I never had any issues. I usually went during weekday mornings, sometimes the family went along and we had a family shoot then went to Pizza Hut in Morgantown for lunch. Weekends get crowded and the closer to hunting season, the more crowded too.

Yeah, there is a 3 round limit in your handgun since that range does not have any 'handgun' range designated. Plus the closest distance will be 50 yds.

Just pay attention to the other shooters and if you feel uncomfortable, leave. I did that once, some guy was tapping his bolt action open with a ball peen hammer and said he liked to load them 'hot'. I reload and knew he was way high on the pressure, I didn't want to be around when the lugs let go and the bolt skewered him through the eye. But there was no unsafe range activities that day either just 'Mr Hot'.

Dale

I was shooting with some of Coatesville's fine upstanding youths. I bailed after getting a raft of shit for calling a clear, and telling them not to handle thier firearms after a clear was called. I packed it in and never went back.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Montgomery County)

I've been ther several times over the last year. Never any real problems. But if you go on the weekends, expect to see some gangsters at the 50 yard range unloading full mags without much care for accuracy.

And one time there was a guy who was about to walk down range before an all clear because he was tired of waiting....

(Delaware County)

Do I need to bring my own paper targets with me? Or are there metal/permanent targets I can shoot at?

(Montgomery County)

Bring your own, as well as a method to secure them. Lots of slobs leave their targets behind, should you forget....

(Wayne County)

Used to go there sometimes to shoot groups. I'd wait for really bad weather so there would be no one there (except die hards) Early in the morning on weekdays is good if you can make it there, old head crowd, typically very laid back. Met many nice people and some board members. Got to shoot some exquisite firearms as well after shooting the shit and shooting shit with folks. Like someone said above weekends are pretty much a no go.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone