Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Why do you carry?

I am interested in hearing your thoughts and reasons on why you carry. What are the steps that took you to the decision to carry. It took me many years of thought and study before I started to carry. Maybe by hearing from each other, we can learn more about one of our most basic rights...Mike45

Mike,

I have carried ever since I turned 21. My reason for carrying is I would rather have it and never use it...versus needing it and not having a pistol. I don't tell people I carry and I don't want anyone to know when I am carrying because I want to have the advantage over any situation. I am sure many people have different reasons to carry and hopefully they will share their reasons with you. I wished PA required a handgun course prior to issuing a CCW. I have seen many folks on the range that I would be afraid to hunt with or walk next to if I knew they were carrying.

(Bucks County)

Default Well said...

Well said Aubie515, especially the point about a course before being given a permit. I've also seen our local range look a little scary. That's usually the time to pack up and leave. Thanks for your views...Mike

(Bucks County)

I'm sorry to have to say this but requiring a course to carry is unconstitutional. Therefore, I cannot and will not ever support the idea. While I agree it is wise to become familiar with safe practices, that choice is up to the individual. Requiring a safety course, is a slippery slope my friends.
    Mike(starblazer)
    USAF vet. NRA life member. GOA life member.

(Bucks County)

To answer the original question of this thread;

I carry first and foremost, because I can. I too, have had a carry permit since the age of twenty one, that's over fifteen years now. I carry because you absolutely never know when and where your life may be threatened. Or the lives of those you care about. If that day ever comes, you will have an equalizer for the situation. Whether you decide to use it is completely up to your assessment of the situation. It is not a guarantee you will come out on top, just an option to consider if needed.
    Mike(starblazer)

(Bucks County)

because she does and you never know....

I am in the process of getting my concealed handgun permit right now. I'm back in Texas and this is the place I will be carrying it, and down here you do have to have a handgun course before you are allowed to carry. I disagree with starblazer about it being unconstitutional to require a course to carry. I think it is your constitutional right to own and bear arms, but I think that most of the time that shouldn't be an issue unless there is a big problem with the government, and that's what I think that clause covers. If it's your constitutional right to carry, then why do you even have to have a CCW at all, much less take a class for it? I believe when someone is carrying a loaded firearm in public, they definately need to know what they're doing and be familiar with it. When you consider the possibility of drawing your weapon and firing it in public, then I think you better be able to hit what you're aiming for.

Anyway, back to why I am going to carry. I've 23 now, so for many years I've weighed out everything. The possible consequences of carrying a pistol and also the cost in terms of budget, and practice so that I'd feel confident enough to discharge a pistol in that situation. My mother believes that having a pistol on you could escalate a situation or "bring trouble". I'm alot like Aubie in the idea of, if I ever get in a situation that is that bad, I would much rather have it than not. I personally don't think a properly concealed handgun draws much attention, and therefore not trouble. I also won't tell people that I carry or advertise it either. I have also thought over other situations besides needing it on a human, like a dog attacking a child or elderly person, runaway livestock, etc. I believe that a pistol can be beneficial to my saftey and others in public, if I use it responsibly and am totally 100% ready in training, if/when the time ever comes that I have to discharge it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088
    I am in the process of getting my concealed handgun permit right now. I'm back in Texas and this is the place I will be carrying it, and down here you do have to have a handgun course before you are allowed to carry. I disagree with starblazer about it being unconstitutional to require a course to carry. I think it is your constitutional right to own and bear arms, but I think that most of the time that shouldn't be an issue unless there is a big problem with the government, and that's what I think that clause covers. If it's your constitutional right to carry, then why do you even have to have a CCW at all, much less take a class for it? I believe when someone is carrying a loaded firearm in public, they definately need to know what they're doing and be familiar with it. When you consider the possibility of drawing your weapon and firing it in public, then I think you better be able to hit what you're aiming for.
    Would you please tell me one other section of the constitution that requires training and or classes before you are permitted to use the rights contained within?

To answer the question as to why we need permits to carry, that's a simple one. We as a people have allowed this right guaranteed us, in the Constitution, to be eroded. This has not always been the case.
    Mike(starblazer)

(Bucks County)

I don't agree with it but many use the "well regulated.." section to justify this sort of thing.

(Lancaster County)

Be careful about training requirement unless you want to kill reciprocity movement. A general training requirement would not be too bad like FL and Va have where they accept a bunch of NRA courses, State security guard courses, hunter safety, etc. But Utah requires a course given by instructor certified by Utah. Nevada I believe requires Nevada certified instructor give training and training has to be done in Nevada.

If you live in Pa get a permit even if you do not plan to carry much. If you transport firearms to the range without permit you could potentially get in trouble if you make side trip, leave ammo in mags, or some other technical violation. Plus you might want to carry on some occasion.

As to question of why carry all the time, when you legally can. The basic response if that you never know when you will encounter a life threatening situation. If you are like most middle class people you will probably never need a gun to defend yourself. However, if you do it will probably be on an ordinary day going about your ordinary activities.

So if you chose to carry pick a gun and rig that is comfortable and will be with you should trouble arise. The lastest tactical whatever is no good at home. And as civilian your threat is likely to be at close quarters and the encounter of short duration.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast