Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Wrinkle case- Pistol ammo loading problem

This doesn’t happen all the time, just enough to be a real annoyance.

1) When seating the pistol bullet it crinkles or wrinkles the case where the bullet is. Most will still feed with no problems, others kind of feed (loading in pistol one at a time) other times in extreme cases it rips or folds the brass case over. It usually only dents one side of the case, usually a couple of minor adjustment on seating die position fixes it, mostly.....yet they still occur.

Any idea or suggestions to minimize or eliminate this?

2) The other problem that I get on rare occasional is the brass is expanded so much after going through all of the dies the bullet immediately falls down to the powder level. These might be range pick up and not reloads from my specific pistol.

Any idea or suggestions?

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Wrinkle case- Pistol ammo loading problem

Is your sizing die clean?

Are you flaring the case lip (lead bullets)?

Get a caliper and start measuring the bullets, cases and dies.

(Centre County)

Sounds like there isn't enough flare on the case mouth. You should be able to feel the flare with your fingers. You should also be able to seat the bullet a little in the case (level, not at an angle) with your fingers. If it's too tight, as you are seating the bullet with the seating die it can go in crooked and then can deform the case, in some instances so much so that it will work in your gun. The flare will be taken away when you either roll crimp the round (revolvers) or taper crimp it (pistols).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Should have specified I don’t load lead bullets, only fmj or copper jacketed hollow points

I can see and feel the flare.

I had the same problem with almost brand new dies in one case, so........

Only load 380, 9mm, 38/357, 44 mag, and 45 have had the same problem with all of them at one time or another. Last night it was 380, had about 25 out of 200, of most would chamber. Just kept adjusting die and rechecking length think i would have it right for a awhile then another one would happen.

I never recall having this problem with rifles bullet, but I do lots more case prep on them and almost always boat tail bullets. Plus I take more time in loading for the extra accuracy factor

I thought it was just my big fingers not getting it level, still it has happened when I thought I had it level, so I don't know......

(Centre County)

Try what Farb said.

Resize a case. Do Not flare it. Take it out and use a set of inside calipers to measure the inside diameter of the case. Use an outside micrometer to measure the diameter of the bullets you are going to load. The difference should not be very much (inside diameter may be up to a couple thousandths smaller but not more than that). If the inside diameter is much less than the outside diameter of the bullets that could be your cause. In that case it could be the dies are slightly undersized or the thickness of the case is more than normal thus causing a smaller inside diameter.

Your rifles may not do it because the rifle sizing die also has an expander plug in it. After the case is run up in the die, as it is removed the expander forces the neck back out a little bit. Straight wall handgun dies typically don't have an expander plug.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Two thoughts.

1. check that your dies are not moving. be sure that they are screwed in tight enough that they do not 'walk' out of position.

2. are your bullets consistant. some less expensive bullets my not be consistant in their diameters.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Lycoming County)

do you crimp with your bullet seat die. if you do and your cases are not the same length and you set up the die on the shorter of the cases this could happen.

(Northampton County)

How many times has the brass you are loading been used?

I have found that some brass does not like to be loaded more than as little as
    2 or 3 times. As brass heats up and cools down it will make hard spots in the case
    And force the bullet to one side. Kind of a bulge on one side.

(Allegheny County)

Most of the brass is reloaded till when ever fails, range pick up or several reloads are placed in containers for practice only.

Once fired brass (I been trying to keep track), reload it and store in different containers, for serious practice only. I try to only use brand new brass or factory for defense purposes.
    Been trying to wear out all the brass and save the most of once fired nickle for this purpose as the cases no not the cases do not corrode as easily as brass will in long term storage.

Thank you for all of your suggestion and ideas to possible solutions

I give you a report after I tried some of them out, see IF it helps. Looks like it might be a combination of some of your suggestions.

(Northampton County)

Whitefeather, I have noticed that if you use too much lube on pistol cases they tend to wrinkle. If you do lube your cases this may be your problem.
    Last edited by inkie; July 28th, 2008 at 01:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast