Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default A tale of two pistols: high end vs. budget

In a recent thread I expressed how I was 'torn' between two pistols for carry to protect my family while on vacation this summer. The two pistols in question were the Heckler & Koch P7 and the Makarov PM.

This is not the first time I compared the two pistols against one another. And each time I compared the two pistols, I always became struck with how different they both are, despite the fact that they compete with one another very well. On the outside, they are similar in size and weight. The P7 is just a little longer and thicker than the Makarov. The P7 is a little taller in height as well. There's about a 2 ounce difference in weight, with the Makarov the lighter of the two. On the inside, they are VERY different guns. The P7 is chambered in 9mm Luger while the Makarov that I own is chambered for 380 auto. The P7 is a delayed-gas blowback pistol that utilizes the squeeze-cocking lever at the front strap, which gives the gun a crisp single action trigger. The Makarov is a simple blowback design with a DA/SA trigger that features a decocker/safety lever on the slide. The HK is a pretty complex design, with lots of intricate parts inside, and a gas-cylinder and gas piston that need to be kept relatively clean over the long term. The Makarov has around 25 parts, and it is about as simple as a pistol can be.

The philosophy behind the pistols are very different as well. The HK P7 was Germany's 'answer' to the question of a perceived need for an upgrade from their 7.65mm pocket pistols that were standard before the late 70's. German LEOs needed a pistol that could be immediately bought to bear at an instant against well-armed terrorists. The Makarov was the Soviet answer to the question of a need for a new standard issue pistol for their millions of troops and police. It needed to be rugged, idiot proof, and easy to make a million units. The HK P7 needs to be kept clean and free of dirt or sand, which could interfere with the cocking lever or the gas piston and cylinder. The Makarov has been known to function reliably after being runover by cars, submerged in mud, and tossed in sand.

The HK P7 is the epitome of German Over-Engineering. In fact, the main reason they were discontinued was because they were too expensive to keep producing. The Makarov, on the other hand, is the epitome of Soviet simplicity and ruggedness. Today, a good-condition HK P7 will typically fetch prices starting at $1,100. The Makarov in good condition can still be had for around $300. Despite the 4 fold price difference, both of these pistols are VERY ACCURATE, are 100 percent reliable, and are compact enough for everyday carry. Sometimes I ask myself if the two pistols are really THAT difference? They both shoot where you point them, and they both go bang whenever you pull the trigger.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: A tale of two pistols: high end vs. budget

When looking at a cheap gun, check and see how many accessories are available. For example, a cheap carry gun isn't a good option if you can't find suitable, high-quality holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    When looking at a cheap gun, check and see how many accessories are available. For example, a cheap carry gun isn't a good option if you can't find suitable, high-quality holsters.
    That's a very good point. The Makarov PM fits in most all holsters that also fit the Bersa Thunder. The HK P7 really needs its own holster, and they can be difficult to track down.

(Philadelphia County)

I'm not too familiar with the Makarov but I do have a P7.I have carried it off and on for the past few years and I actually have a cheapo Uncle Mikes holster that fit the pistol pretty well.

(Philadelphia County)

The Makarov is to pistols what the AK-47 is to rifles. "The best is the enemy of 'good enough'." Germans love complexity for the sake of complexity. For example, the breech assembly on a WWII German artillery piece used 45 separate parts whereas the American one used only eight."

(Montgomery County)

Two cool pistols! Thanks for the write-up.

Out of those two, I'd get the H&K P7.

(Chester County)

I definitely have the affinity with the makarov being the strange Russian PPk answer, and the history of it is just a cool part of it.

(Allegheny County)

If I had $1100 to spend it would be on the HK. If I had $300 to spend, it would be on beer making supplies.