Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Correcting the Serial Number of a firearm in the PSP non-registry

Is it possible to correct a serial number which was entered wrong during the purchase? My scenario: bought a Ruger p95 used at a gunshow in Pittsburgh, about 5 years ago. Serial number is 311-xxxxx. Serial number is correct on the 4473 and the PSP form (I verified that at the time of purchase).

However, I was pulled over a few years back, and the pistol was on top of my registration and insurance card (lesson learned there), so I had to inform the officer. He of course did his thing (unload for his safety, blah blah blah. At that point he verified my LTCF and ran the pistol for stolen. Then he asked me whose pistol it was, to which I answered "mine." Then he started down a line of questions about how I came to possess it, etc. I provided him with a copy of the PSP record of sale form, and he was satisfied this proved the pistol was mine.

Through some more research, I have come to find out the state has the serial number recorded as 911-xxxxx. I tried to contact the FFL who did the transfer originally, and they didn't know how to fix it. I contacted several other FFLs and the local Sheriff, and nobody can tell me how to fix this.

Long story (somewhat) short: had another LEO encounter this evening, gun was run for stolen, told the officer about the situation with it. He ran it both ways, and verified exactly what I told him. He suggested I look into how to correct the situation. Does anybody have any idea how to fix this?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Correcting the Serial Number of a firearm in the PSP non-registry

If you really want it in your name to save from future issues - go to a FFL and transfer it to yourself. ....new 4473, new SP4-113, and new background check. And of course, a fee to the FFL.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Blair County)

That's what I figured, but I was told by 2 FFLs that it wouldn't work that way, because it wouldn't be a transfer from me, it would be a transfer from the previous owner, and he would need to be present.

(Allegheny County)

Have you tried driving slower?

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Try a sheriff. Take your paper work. They can do for inheritance, why not your situation? Make copies incase you lose it. I thought we didn't have a registration here in Pa.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Have you tried driving slower?

I have. I also have not had a traffic violation since that day. Today's events are part of an ongoing criminal investigation, and I have been advised by legal counsel to not discuss it publicly.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlG View Post
    That's what I figured, but I was told by 2 FFLs that it wouldn't work that way, because it wouldn't be a transfer from me, it would be a transfer from the previous owner, and he would need to be present.
    Thats just dumb because you are the current owner and your all legal. Sell it to the ffl and buy it back for a buck. Find one you trust.

(Berks County)

I have. I also have not had a traffic violation since that day. Today's events are part of an ongoing criminal investigation, and I have been advised by legal counsel to not discuss it publicly.
    So you posted to the Internet?

(Franklin County)

I understand why you would want to correct the situation, but be clear, you have no legal obligation to do so.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Sell it to the FFL and then buy it back, that is if your willing to jump through the hoops! The ERROR is on PSP and the non existannnt.....cough cough date cough base...

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I understand why you would want to correct the situation, but be clear, you have no legal obligation to do so.
    I agree 100% however, it only takes one JBT on a Power trip to take(AKA Steal) his Pistol and make him prove it's his! Then he is back to square one.

OP I would contact your local PSP station and see if they have a Trooper who can help you out. If not jump through the Hoops. The other option is quit getting pulled over. BTW do you know PA. does not require you to declare your weapon on a traffic stop?
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast