Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default A section specifically for questions

For consideration, how about a specific forum for people who come here with questions about whether or not they can own a gun because " ___________ " happened in their past and they want to know where they stand? In addition, make it an anti political wasteland forum where all answers have to be on topic, no drifting into berating the person for their grammar, sentence structure. No berating the person for what they did. Just straight up asking clarifying questions and answer the persons question as best as possible or move onto the next thread. Any off topic responses are deleted as per the description of that forum.

I may be the only one, but I think it is embarrassing for the site when people come here looking for help and their thread contains one or two helpful posts but is littered with off topic responses that help no one. Also by putting all these questions in one section and having less b.s to wade through, it will make it easier for people with future problems to search for the answers they seek. From what I have seen questions get put into a couple of different forums because there is no specific forum that fits the question and newbies often have no idea where to best put the question.

Default Re: A section specifically for questions

If only there were some way that Americans could get reliable legal advice from someone.....
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Berks County)

I also think this would be a good idea because of the points stated above. It would give specific place for often asked questions.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If only there were some way that Americans could get reliable legal advice from someone.....
    A "this does not constitute legal advice, some things need to be addressed by a lawyer" type disclaimer in the description would be smart. There are some questions that members can address, but sometimes people just need to hear "talk to a lawyer" and why from others before they are ready to put out the money to talk to a lawyer. But it's more helpful to have someone say " ask a lawyer " than to have pages of posts that have nothing to do with the question from someone who is just looking for firearms related help.
    Last edited by internet troll; July 3rd, 2015 at 12:17 PM.

(Franklin County)

Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Jefferson County)

The General and PA Politics sections are good enough places for such.

The problem is - most people who ask either do not know or are intentionally failing to disclose all matters that could be prohibiting.

gnbrotz has already written a guide(linked to in his above post) to prohibiting things.

Yes, we do need to start slapping the pee-pee's of folks who troll or threadcrap such threads.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Honestly I've seen the thread before but it's been a while and I forgot about it. I should have known this has been addressed in some form in the past. I still like the idea of a bs free section for people to ask questions though.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

Yes, we do need to start slapping the pee-pee's of folks who troll or threadcrap such threads.
    Agreed, I've crapped threads before, but I think it's wrong when someone is asking a question looking for help on something that is a central point in their present life and their thread quickly veres off on tangents that have nothing to do with their question. I think a section where it's known that you either try to help the person or you move on to another thread would be helpful in some cases. No bs allowed. Jmo.

(Berks County)

It should also be required that the question be asked in a known language using some type of punctuation.

How else would one know it is a serious inquiry?

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    It should also be required that the question be asked in a known language using some type of punctuation.

How else would one know it is a serious inquiry?
    Nothing wrong with asking clarifying questions that are on topic. It can be done respectfully in a helpful way. If the person is unable to make themselves clear then they won't get the answers they seek. That's on them though. But jumping all over people trying to figure things out and taking the thread on unrelated grammar tangents or berating them for what ever they did is not productive or helpful imo.