Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Glass for cz .300wm ultimate hunting rifle for Elk

Fellas,

I finally booked my first guided hunt for elk in Montana for fall of 2016, which I am using as an excuse to put together a higher end, mid-longe range rifle.

I have ordered a cz ultimate hunting rifle in .300wm, and am now deciding on optics. I have not done much long range shooting or hunting. I currently shoot a Remington 700bdl in 30-06 w a leupold vari x II 3-9x40, rarely getting shots over 100yds.

I was interested in scopes with the bullet drop compensator or BDC, but am open to options. Would like to get comfortable shooting accurately out to 400 yards with a decent rest.

I plan on shooting 200 grain bullets, not sure what brand I'm gonna sight in with yet, I don't handload.

The two scopes I was seriously considering are

1. Zeiss conquest HD 3-15 x 44 with rz600 recticle
    2 Leupold vari-x 6 3-18x44 with firedog recticle

Was also considering looking towards both models in 50mm.

Heavily leaning towards the Zeiss

Has anyone had any experience with these scopes, or recommendations they would make in the same price class?

Thanks for the help guys! All comments and suggestions welcome, gonna be waiting on this rifle for 45-60 days.

I feel the hard part is going to be finding a range where I can join/drop in to practice shooting the ranges I need to....

Dan

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Glass for cz .300wm ultimate hunting rifle for Elk

I'd buy another Leupold, this one a VX2 3-9 x 40 or a VX3 3.5-10 x 40. Or maybe the fixed 6X42. Any one will do whatever you need out to 400 or more. You can get the CDS stuff from Leupold but for less than 400 yds, I don't think you need it. Sight in 3 inches high at 100, hold center chest to 300, elevate some for 400. KISS is still the best bet IMO.

Dale

(Lawrence County)

I'd look hard at the Sightron SIII and the Vortex Viper HS. Both are known for good glass and repeatable tracking. I went with the SIII.

LycanortheZeissthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the input guys! I had a post on another forum where other guys where givin me some input as well.

Although I know there is a huge debate on practicality on FFP vs SFP, i really think for my skill level, and the kind of shots I could possibly be taking, a FFP would be a great option.

Problem is, I can't find any kind of list or anything with a varied options on FFP BDC sights.

Wouldike to keep base magnification at 3x, and want a 30mm tube.

I was recommended the burris veracity by a friend and it seems like a perfect fit, but I don't know burris well, and don't want to "cheap out" on the optics.

This is the rifle I ordered I'm putting it on http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-ultimat...0-win-mag-110/

Thanks for all the input guys, I got 3-4 weeks before I need to order the scope.

I appreciate all the suggestions!

Dan

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    I'd buy another Leupold, this one a VX2 3-9 x 40 or a VX3 3.5-10 x 40. Or maybe the fixed 6X42. Any one will do whatever you need out to 400 or more. You can get the CDS stuff from Leupold but for less than 400 yds, I don't think you need it. Sight in 3 inches high at 100, hold center chest to 300, elevate some for 400. KISS is still the best bet IMO.

Dale
    Very sound and good advice. Shooting out to 400 is pretty easy. I have VX 1 3X9X40's and 4X12X40's and they fill my needs perfectly.

(York County)

if you aren't worried about a bullet drop dial, I would consider Cabela's Instinct Euro Riflescopes

Made by Meopta in the USA
    I want your vz.33

(Lawrence County)

FFP isn't really going to help you much unless you're using the reticle to range game with. If you do decide to go that way, I highly recommend a MOA reticle.

Lycaneasymaththrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

FFP is great because your hold overs don't change with magnification. If going FFP, hard to beat the Vortex http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...1-mrad-reticle
    I would elect for the mil/mrad. Less math than MOA.

Regarding the scopes you have listed, I have the conquest in 3-9 with the z-600 and I couldn't recommend it more. Best glass in the price range, very well made scope and very durable. I shoot it on a winchester 70 supergrade, 270 wsm . Leupold has a good reputation for a reason. If you wanted to really go high end, Tangent Theta is probably the best optic on the market but also very expensive. They have a 3-15 FFP that is a work of art.

Congratulations on the hunt!

Here is a good article on ffp vs sfp.

http://www.primalrights.com/forum/vi...hp?f=26&t=4789

(Allegheny County)

Irocguns,

Thanks for the recommendation and the article, it definitely confirmEd a few feelings I had on the FFP vs SFP for the choice of scope.

Although I still haven't made a decision... Lol

(Allegheny County)

No problem. Those guys are lucky in that they get to play with all the top of the line stuff, being a long range shooting specialty business...$5000 custom rifles, $3000 scopes, etc...but the knowledge base is there and I know Greg from Primal Rights has recommendations at a more budget level too - like the Vortex Viper PST FFP line.

Anyway, enjoy your build and congrats on the dream hunt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast