Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default gun shops and gun smiths

any one know any reputable gunsmiths and dealers in and around bradford?

(McKean County)

Default Re: gun shops and gun smiths

Even though I live in McKean Co, I deal with Peterson's over in Clarendon, between Sheffield and Warren on Rt 6, for smith work. John is a great guy and easy to talk to.
    For guns and ammo I make the trip to Tall Tales over in Russell, PA on Rt 62. Don't know any smiths in and around BFD, and the few places selling guns were small with not much of a selection.

Peterson's
    12547 US-6, Clarendon, PA 16313
    (814) 723-1787
    Marty near God's Country. Making good people defenseless doesn’t make bad people harmless.

(Erie County)

thanks marty anywhere good to shoot in mckean?

(McKean County)

Two ranges on Rt 59, I am not associated with them. One I think is Bradford Gun Club, the other is McKean County Club, if memory serves. I shot at one of them a while ago, don't recall which, had an indoor range. I joined the Kane Fish and Game Club years ago, for $15 per year. It has has sporting clays, skeet, 200yd rifle range, and is empty most of the time mid-week. I make the trip there several times per year. I like the empty range when practicing defensive shooting, as in from behind cover, from different positions, kneeling, starting with my back to the range, shooting 2 targets, reloading drills, stuff a lot of ranges won't let you do.
    Marty near God's Country. Making good people defenseless doesn’t make bad people harmless.

(Erie County)

very cool, Its even better I'm now a legal PA resident and I'm definitely in the mood to shoot I got a rifle I need to seriously site in, and need suggestions on a decent pistol and AR

(Tioga County)

As for a pistol. Go to the biggest gun store around. Start looking for something that passes YOUR fondle test. If it doesn't feel right in your hand it is not the right one. Once you have it down to three or four . Point it in a safe direction and align the sights at some distant target. I would suggest doing this using both hands.

Now lower it to a low ready position. Arms straight and pointed at a 45 degree angle downward. Like a weaver stance. Raise it up again getting everything aligned. Do this three times. Now do it again with your eyes closed. Once you think your on target open your eyes. How close to proper sight alignment are you? Do this with your favorites. Which gives you the best sight alignment. This will give you a pistol that will give you the best natural point. A natural point is a good thing.

My favorite is a 1911. But have been handling one since the 50s. For carry I have two different models. Two 1911s and a Springfield XD. all are chambered in .45ACP. Normally I open carry. In my area open carry is not a big deal. I do sometimes get a "deer in the headlights look" for those that wander over the border to the north.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Erie County)

thanks for the suggestions, I got the perfect stores in mind.2 are local one is in Erie. and yea I'm favoring a 1911 style in .45 I like that cause one or 2 and you know their down.
    And Its gonna be interesting to really start handling them, so far 1911's have been passing as I got big hands. and I do plan to carry conceled and am going to apply for my LTCF. and I don't think open carry will be a problem here, but i'm still kinda on the fence about it so to speak. And yea we get alot of wanders from the north and the frozen north being in proximity of a state and a national park, so that's kinda were my worry comes in and we do got some liberals in town i think.

(Tioga County)

Around my home open carry isn't an issue. I know almost all the local LEOs and they know me and know I carry. Sometimes we get a new PSP working the area and they can be a bit wound too tight. They do know the law. I haven't been hassled yet.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Erie County)

good point, sadly i've only been here 3 weeks really haven't had a chance to get to know or local LEO and PSP I've met them on occasion a few times but nothing really in deph

(McKean County)

I'm in Bradford and the gun shop I like to deal with is Elk County Ammo and Arms in St. Mary's PA, awesome experience everytime! Good prices and great inventory......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast