Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Newbie Questions - Antlerless Deer License Application

I'm new to deer hunting. Last year, I went hunting with a colleague during antlered season. This year, I want to get antlerless licenses for 3C and 3D. I have questions about the process that I hope someone can help me with.

1) Can I send both WMU applications in the same pink envelope? Or, do I send one to one county and the other to a county in the other WMU?
    2) If they both go in the same envelope, do I send two separate checks? Are they both considered "Round 1 applications" or is one only considered first round and the other considered second round? If they are separate rounds is it correct to send in my first preference first with the other WMU listed as my second choice?
    3) If I have to send them in separately to different rounds, why does the pink envelope have a "1, 2, or 3" to circle on it? Are they if more than one person is sending in an application (hunting party)?
    4) Do I have to wait until July 13th to mail in my application, or can I mail it in ahead of time?
    5) When does the second round start, if licenses are available?
    6) I assume if I am unsuccessful in a round, my check will just be returned to me in the SASE part of the pink envelope. Right?

If there is anything else you think I should know about the application process but am too new to ask, free free to add it.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give me.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Newbie Questions - Antlerless Deer License Application

You can apply to one WMU in the first round and list the second unit as a backup. If choice A is filled, they will send you choice B unless that is sold out. During the second round, you can apply for B (or A again) if there are tags left. You CANNOT send in applications for A and B in the same round.

You and your buddies can submit up to 3 applications per round in the same envelope. That avoids one guy getting his and the others don't, it's all or none for them. I'm not sure why the 1-2-3 thing is there since they can issue for any unit now. Maybe it's a hold over from the days when they only issued for their respective county and they could keep a running tally of how many they had.

Treasurers will not accept applications until the 13th, if it arrives sooner than that, it will be rejected. I sometimes mail mine on the Saturday immediately before, sometimes on the first day for applications but I apply to a unit that doesn't sell out on the first round.

Round 1, Residents-July 13, then non Residents get a chance on July 27. Unsold tags (round 2) starts Aug 3.

I guess you'll get your check back, I've never been unsuccessful in getting a tag. I'm working from memory but I think the only units that sell out on the first round are 2G, 2H, and one of the ones around Erie, most everybody has tags left after the residents get their first one.

Dale

(Lackawanna County)

Thanks!

(Bucks County)

Check and see if there is a DMAP for your area of 3D; if so you can buy a DMAP doe tag over the counter when you buy your license.

Starting this year you cannot use anterless tag in 3D until the first Saturday BUT you can use the DMAP the whole season.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by wis bang View Post
    Starting this year you cannot use anterless tag in 3D until the first Saturday BUT you can use the DMAP the whole season.
    Wait, what? No muzzleloader in 3D this year?
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

(Somerset County)

wis bang is most likely referring to the RIFLE season after Thanksgiving, the October muzzleloader season hasn't been touched. PGC has been changing most units to a Saturday start for rifle doe, not the opening monday.

Dale