Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Speedloaders or speed strips?

Yes, I'm resurrecting an eight year old thread. Curious to see who's using what these days in the way of speed loaders. I recently acquired an LCR in .327 Magnum and there aren't many speed loaders available. I bought a couple from 5 Star Firearms, and they seem to be well made. I wish there was an S.L. Variant made in .327 or .32 H&R, but the originals aren't being made or sold here, and the guy making clones has his hands full with keeping up with demand for standard configs.

I recently bought a unique speed loader called the Wrapid Loader System. It's a spring loaded "strip" that's designed to lay flat in a pouch. Upon drawing, it becomes circular and allows you to load a cylinder with a quick rip pull. Pretty neat system. Pricey, but works well for a compact solution. Right now they just have a 5 shot and 6 shot version in .357/.38. I asked them if they had plans for .327/.32 and they said yes, but first they need to meet demand for their current products.

So who uses what and why, these days? I personally prefer S.L. Variant, both the original and the replica from Japan. But I also have a bunch of HKS speed loaders that are very simple in operation and work quite well. I've tried others like Safariland and SpeedBeez, but I'm not a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Yes, I'm resurrecting an eight year old thread. Curious to see who's using what these days in the way of speed loaders. I recently acquired an LCR in .327 Magnum and there aren't many speed loaders available. I bought a couple from 5 Star Firearms, and they seem to be well made. I wish there was an S.L. Variant made in .327 or .32 H&R, but the originals aren't being made or sold here, and the guy making clones has his hands full with keeping up with demand for standard configs.

I recently bought a unique speed loader called the Wrapid Loader System. It's a spring loaded "strip" that's designed to lay flat in a pouch. Upon drawing, it becomes circular and allows you to load a cylinder with a quick rip pull. Pretty neat system. Pricey, but works well for a compact solution. Right now they just have a 5 shot and 6 shot version in .357/.38. I asked them if they had plans for .327/.32 and they said yes, but first they need to meet demand for their current products.

So who uses what and why, these days? I personally prefer S.L. Variant, both the original and the replica from Japan. But I also have a bunch of HKS speed loaders that are very simple in operation and work quite well. I've tried others like Safariland and SpeedBeez, but I'm not a fan.
    Not to hijack the 8 year old thread, but how do you like the 327? I like what I have read...

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Not to hijack the 8 year old thread, but how do you like the 327? I like what I have read...
    No worries. Haven't shot it yet. I've wanted one for a while now and just came across one for a decent price. I've shot the .357/.38 version of the LCR and I wasn't keen on the recoil. I've shot .32 H&R Mag before, and I like it because it has the punch of .38 +p, but less recoil. The .327 LCR can shoot .327 Mag, .32 H&R, .32 S&W Long, .32 S&W Short, and .32 ACP. I bought a bunch of different ammo, so I'm hoping to get to the range in the next week or two to see what I like. Who knows, maybe I won't mind .327 Mag. I'll report back once I get some rounds down range.

(Chester County)

Bianchi speed strips for me. I usually carry a semi auto but when I carry a revolver I just tuck a speed strip or two in my weak-side front pocket.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    We have two of the Ruger LCR in 327. My wife prefers the model with the exposed hammer; she has a weak wrist and needs the ability to go single action at need. She sees the LCR as her go-to in need. I have the model with the shrouded hammer. I have used this is a winter coat pocket carry gun; roughly .38 power and 6 rounds in a snubby. We both shoot ours well.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post

So who uses what and why, these days?
    My J frame snubby is my "I'm not carrying a gun" gun. On the few occasions that it gets carried, a Bianchi speed strip is also carried in my strong side front pocket. If I have an outer jacket/vest on, I'll also toss an HKS speed loader into the strong side pocket.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

I*ll chime in on this. The ONLY speed strips or loaders I use are zeta6. The loaders are still a speed strip just loading all round at once. I do carry both kinds but prefer strips cause they lay flat in the pocket and I can carry 40 of them if need be. They are slower reload but it*s more deliberate.

In reference to the 327 federal*.its freakin awesome!!! There is no downside other than cost of ammo currently and even previously for that matter. I*m partial to the sp101 3* in 327. I don*t see much of any difference in recoil between it and 357 but having another round is nice and power is good too. If you*re a reloader it*s like making a 357 but if it met Richard Simmons first.

(York County)

I only carry a revolver while hunting, but keep it concealed to avoid confusion during archery & muzzleloader. Using a belly band due to hunting clothes and pop a speed loader in the mag pouch.
    Only gets covered with a sweatshirt, which is great for winter. No experience with summer use.
    Firearms have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12