Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Guns & Foreign Countries

Does anyone have a good link to a source of gun laws in various foreign countries?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Guns & Foreign Countries

Quote Originally Posted by tacticalreload View Post
    Does anyone have a good link to a source of gun laws in various foreign countries?
    Wikipedia is a good start.

The fedgov is going to suggest you contact a consulate in the country you plan to travel to. I have no idea what the site is, but I've stumbled upon fedgov compendiums of legal information (although they are not complete/exhaustive) which include such a suggestion.

(Montgomery County)

The only surefire method is to contact the embassies of the countries you wish to visit and make certain that you have information in writing.

From memory, do not even attempt any handgun movements (unless you are competing in the Olympics). Long guns for hunting in Africa can be shipped but costly and you must make certain that you are not passing through JFK or Logan as the Cops there consider such movements (though legal under Federal Law) to be illegal by NYC and Mass Law. Dave_n

PS wikipedia is perhaps the most untrustworthy source of information on the web!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_n View Post
    The only surefire method is to contact the embassies of the countries you wish to visit and make certain that you have information in writing.

From memory, do not even attempt any handgun movements (unless you are competing in the Olympics). Long guns for hunting in Africa can be shipped but costly and you must make certain that you are not passing through JFK or Logan as the Cops there consider such movements (though legal under Federal Law) to be illegal by NYC and Mass Law. Dave_n

PS wikipedia is perhaps the most untrustworthy source of information on the web!
    Nonsense. There are plenty of sites that are dedicated to misinformation. Wikipedia is by far not the worst.

However, anyone can write on a Wiki page so you shouldn't take anything there as verbatim. Everything on Wikipedia should be sourced. Information that is not sourced is just some guy's opinion. If there is a citation you should follow it and make sure that it is trustworthy and accurately represented. Wikipedia is not the authority on any issue but it's a good starting point for research and will provide lots of useful reading material.

Rather like the PAFOA discussion forum.

(Chester County)

Ive wanted to know the same thing, Wikipedia was lacking when I looked last.

The most information I could find was that UK had banned pistols, possibly long guns too. Either way, a man was sent to prison for defending his home with a rifle....take that as you will.

Australia has some info, they have been regulated now since sometime in the 20th century after a slew of public shootings.

Russia may have some provisional gun ownership, evidence of this is scant and I relay the information as heresay.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Cambria County)

Where are planning to go?
    These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Thomas Paine 1776

I actually don't plan on going anywhere... I just wanted to see where the US stands with regards to gun laws as compared to the rest of the world.

(Chester County)

I actually don't plan on going anywhere... I just wanted to see where the US stands with regards to gun laws as compared to the rest of the world.
    One of the most lax from m research. Unless you are talking about africa. Switzerland I think does or did have an active civilian arming program.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Adams County)

You could try:

www.handgunlaw.us

They have a 'bunch' of links---Some may help you

~LATER~
    Bill----------------->
    NRA - LIFE / ENDOWMENT MEMBER
    LIFE MEMBER - VIETNAM VETERANS AMERICA
    U.S.NAVY SEAWOLVES - VIETNAM 69/70