Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Glock 41 passes 2000 rds and I'm still grinning

One of my Glock 41's has hit the 2300 rd mark as of today to a tune of almost $800. What are you guys averaging per round with hand loads and .45 acp? My buddy is going to sell me his equipment for half of what he paid to get his new set, but I don't want to get involved if the savings will take a long time to recover.

Back to the Glock....2300 rds and not a single mishap of any kind. Although I lubed it after 25 cent trigger job, I never cleaned it. Matter of fact, I didn't clean it the first time until 1250 rds. It got warm water, dish soap bath and air comp. dried. It ran perfectly throughout the 1250 rds. I've cleaned it a couple times this second thousand go around, so no big deal, there. Things I've done to this one are removed finger grooves and grip texture and replaced with skateboard tape. I also rounded the front strap just a bit and did the trigger undercut. Everything else is bone stock. Soon as my PC is back up and running (I'm on my wife's laptop), I will try to get a couple pics posted. I haven't seen a fingergrooveless G41 yet, other than mine, so I'm kinda itching to get one up so people can see it.

I can honestly say I've enjoyed this handgun as much as any I have owned. It is still loads of fun to shoot, it performs flawlessly, and it has great control when shooting fast. After 2300 rds, the RSA is showing only very minor spring tension degrade and still has barely any slide battering with WWB and Magtech 230 ball. Magtech 185 gr +P's bottom the slide a little, but nothing drastic, yet. It has now become my favorite handgun to shoot. If it only made it to 5000 rds and broke, I'd get another one in a heartbeat. I like it that much. Speaking of 5000, I'll be back when it gets there for update on reliability. Perfect so far.

eta - I didn't want to start two threads, so I just threw the hand load question in with this one.
    Last edited by harold63; June 22nd, 2015 at 11:04 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Glock 41 passes 2000 rds and I'm still grinning

I'm loading 45 auto at around $0.16 per round. I'm using Power Pistol, CCI primers, range pickup brass (free), and Xtreme Plated 200gr round nose. I'm loading these on a crappy Lee Pro 1000 that actually does surprisingly well with 45. 9mm sucks on it, but still works. I can normally pump out around 250-300 rounds/hour if I try/nothing goes horribly wrong.

Good to hear about your 41. I've been itching to get one but can't fathom spending the $600 on a Glock (I know, I know. Priorities.). Post those pictures!
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

Hokkmike Guest

Always glad to read posts like this. Pictures please?

Quote Originally Posted by ianb1116 View Post
    I'm loading 45 auto at around $0.16 per round. I'm using Power Pistol, CCI primers, range pickup brass (free), and Xtreme Plated 200gr round nose. I'm loading these on a crappy Lee Pro 1000 that actually does surprisingly well with 45. 9mm sucks on it, but still works. I can normally pump out around 250-300 rounds/hour if I try/nothing goes horribly wrong.

Good to hear about your 41. I've been itching to get one but can't fathom spending the $600 on a Glock (I know, I know. Priorities.). Post those pictures!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Always glad to read posts like this. Pictures please?
    $.16 per round? That's awesome. I'd have to load about 1400 rds to break even on the equipment when I consider the $.37 average I spend, now, for store bought, factory ammo. I can shoot 1400 rds in my sleep. Thanks.

My PC is broke down, so no pics for a while. Maybe I can figure it out on this LT, but don't hold me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    One of my Glock 41's has hit the 2300 rd mark as of today to a tune of almost $800. What are you guys averaging per round with hand loads and .45 acp? My buddy is going to sell me his equipment for half of what he paid to get his new set, but I don't want to get involved if the savings will take a long time to recover.

Back to the Glock....2300 rds and not a single mishap of any kind. Although I lubed it after 25 cent trigger job, I never cleaned it. Matter of fact, I didn't clean it the first time until 1250 rds. It got warm water, dish soap bath and air comp. dried. It ran perfectly throughout the 1250 rds. I've cleaned it a couple times this second thousand go around, so no big deal, there. Things I've done to this one are removed finger grooves and grip texture and replaced with skateboard tape. I also rounded the front strap just a bit and did the trigger undercut. Everything else is bone stock. Soon as my PC is back up and running (I'm on my wife's laptop), I will try to get a couple pics posted. I haven't seen a fingergrooveless G41 yet, other than mine, so I'm kinda itching to get one up so people can see it.

I can honestly say I've enjoyed this handgun as much as any I have owned. It is still loads of fun to shoot, it performs flawlessly, and it has great control when shooting fast. After 2300 rds, the RSA is showing only very minor spring tension degrade and still has barely any slide battering with WWB and Magtech 230 ball. Magtech 185 gr +P's bottom the slide a little, but nothing drastic, yet. It has now become my favorite handgun to shoot. If it only made it to 5000 rds and broke, I'd get another one in a heartbeat. I like it that much. Speaking of 5000, I'll be back when it gets there for update on reliability. Perfect so far.

eta - I didn't want to start two threads, so I just threw the hand load question in with this one.
    "I never cleaned it..."
    "...I didn't clean it the first time until 1250 rds"
    "...I've cleaned it a couple times this second thousand go around"

So the take away is you didn't clean it until you cleaned it?

Your buddy is going to sell his equipment for half of what he paid to get his new set... What is the original equipment brand and age? Depending on the brand. model, age, etc... this might not be a good deal. I bought my original Rockchucker Master Kit back in 1992 for $150. About 5 yrs ago I bought a Hornady LNL AP for somewhere around $425. If I sold you the RCBS kit for half of the AP cost I would be taking advantage of you. The RCBS is sound but has depreciated well below original cost. There are a lot of guys out there selling "used but new" reloading equipment. These are the folks that thought they would get into reloading in the past few years due to ammo shortages but have since discovered it is time and money consuming. Shop around, it is a buyers market.

By the way, I'm just busting on you about the cleaning. Glad to hear the Glock is running well.

(Chester County)

Cost Breakdown

Power Pistol - $22/lb
    7000 grains/lb
    ~7.0 grains/charge
    ~1000 rounds per pound
    $0.022/rnd

Primers - CCI Large Pistol
    $29.99/1000
    $0.029/round

Bullets - 200gr RN Xtreme Plated
    $55/500
    $0.11/rnd

$0.11+$0.029+$0.022 = $0.161/round assuming free brass

Yeah, at that price, shooting .45acp is a lot more economical. Essentially half price vs. buying.

Granted, I reload 9mm for right around $0.10/round...
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Philadelphia County)

Hi, check out www.freedommunitions.com
    First generation American by birth. Patriotic Veteran by choice.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...is-part-two-2/

There were a few more articles rolling around out there too.

Quote Originally Posted by laen3145 View Post
    Yea, I gotten from there, before. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    "I never cleaned it..."
    "...I didn't clean it the first time until 1250 rds"
    By the way, I'm just busting on you about the cleaning. Glad to hear the Glock is running well.
    Heh, heh...yea, that was just for learning and lore for TOS. I wanted to see how it would perform with some grime in it. At 1250 rds, it was getting down right nasty. Didn't have the heart to go any farther. It ran like a clock, though, the entire way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast