Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Need a little help with laws and ownership in PA

Hey there fellow owners. I have a friend in a tight spot. So I will get to the point, she just bought a new pistol and brought it back to her home (still lives with the parents). Can they the parents remove the handgun from her and give it to a family member who lives in another home with out her consent, even though it is registered with her name?

This is a what if?
    I do not have all fact but a question as to what can and or can't be done.
    Last edited by Code13; June 23rd, 2015 at 08:17 PM.

Default Re: Need a little help with laws and ownership in PA

Quote Originally Posted by Code13 View Post
    Hey there fellow owners. I have a friend in a tight spot. So I will get to the point, she just bought a new pistol and brought it back to her home (still lives with the parents). Can they remove the handgun from her and give it to a family member who lives in another home with out her consent, even though it is registered with her name?
    Who are "they"?
    And what are the circumstances that would cause "them" to do this?
    As for the legality of a transfer, a handgun generally must go through an FFL, except directly between parent/child, spouses, and grandparent/grandchild.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lycoming County)

I'm curious about the details here. Why would her parents want to give the gun to another family member? As far as the law goes giving a handgun to someone that is not your mother/father or son/daughter would probably be considered an illegal transfer. If it is done without her consent then it could be theft as well. I'm wondering what the details are though. Are they worried she is a danger to herself or others? Are they just anti-gun?

(Chester County)

The parents are "they". I'm trying to find out what laws and regulations would cover this topic. Being that she wants to keep the handgun and is of legal age and able too legally own and posses firearms.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    I'm curious about the details here. Why would her parents want to give the gun to another family member? As far as the law goes giving a handgun to someone that is not your mother/father or son/daughter would probably be considered an illegal transfer. If it is done without her consent then it could be theft as well. I'm wondering what the details are though. Are they worried she is a danger to herself or others? Are they just anti-gun?
    Just anti gun.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Who are "they"?
    As for the legality of a transfer, a handgun generally must go through an FFL, except directly between parent/child, spouses, and grandparent/grandchild.
    I need to type faster still I see.

(Lycoming County)

The parents are "they". I'm trying to find out what laws and regulations would cover this topic. Being that she wants to keep the handgun and is of legal age and able too legally own and posses firearms.
    Just anti gun.
    Well, it probably wasn't the best idea to buy a gun if she was still living in their household, without their permission then. That said, if she is of legal age then they can't just take it and give it to someone. This sounds like a really bad situation. If she knew her parents where extremely anti, why would she buy it and think it wouldn't be an issue? I'll defer to Gunlawyer on this one.
    Last edited by R L Suehr; June 22nd, 2015 at 12:24 AM.

(Chester County)

So can she keep the gun in the house even though the parents are anti-gun? And if they made an "illegal transfer" of the hand gun, what can the daughter do to keep the gun and/or get it back?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Who are "they"?
    The parents seem to be anti-gun with extrem prejudice at this time with no earlier signs of it. Then had forced the daughter to hand over the hand gun to an uncle to be held or she would have to deal with the police on this matter.

(Lycoming County)

So can she keep the gun in the house even though the parents are anti-gun? And if they made an "illegal transfer" of the hand gun, what can the daughter do to keep the gun and/or get it back?
    That's the thing, I suppose she could call the police and file charges/report the illegal transfer. That would lead to a huge legal issue for them. In turn I'm sure she would be looking for a new place to live in short order and permanently alter her relationship with her parents. I'm thinking this is something she needs to have a serious discussion with them about. Actually that probably should have happened before all this, but that ship sailed.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast