Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Thread and extend my TP9SA barrel?

Hi,
    (My 1st post)

I have a Canik TP9SA, and I want to have a threaded barrel. But I can't find an extended length barrel anywhere.
    So I plan to extend that short barrel I have.
    The barrel outside diameter is 0.55 in, so I will make a little tube with outside diameter of 0.55 in.
    Then I'll thread my barrel 1/2-28 male, that tube 1/2-28 female. Maybe 1 in long.
    Then I'll attach them, maybe with some glue as well.

The piece I have is Aluminum 6061.
    I don't know much about gun. Is it a stupid idea?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Thread and extend my TP9SA barrel?

I know this is your first post. Sorry if this comes off as being an asshole. You need to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by qtr View Post
    Is it a stupid idea?

Yes. Extremely. Possibly one of the most stupid ideas I've ever heard. You would likely see catastrophic failure, blow up your hand, kill yourself, etc.

There are so many issues with what you want to do.
    1) do you plan on rifling your 1" extension? If so, how do you ever plan on having the lands/grooves line up perfectly?
    2) Do you plan on attaching a suppressor? Don't. This hack job will likely explode due to back-pressure.
    3)Gluing a barrel together? Really? You're potentially seeing 38,500 PSI blow up in your face.
    4) Aluminum on a barrel? Come on...this is just too stupid.

There are so many more.

Save your time, money, and life. Don't do that. Buy a barrel blank, give it to a gunsmith, and have him do it. You'll spend about double what the damn gun is worth, but you'll be alive.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time upgrading a Canik TP9. Do it to a weapon that warrants it.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Jefferson County)

Since the TP9SA is based upon the Walther P99, a extended/threaded P99 barrel might work. ...may require mods to chamber bulge(locking bulge and such) though.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

I have a feeling barrels will interchange, but the ramps will be different.

http://wookieswords.blogspot.com/201...lther-p99.html

Hopefully someone here that owns both can confirm.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ianb1116 View Post
    I know this is your first post. Sorry if this comes off as being an asshole. You need to hear it.

Yes. Extremely. Possibly one of the most stupid ideas I've ever heard. You would likely see catastrophic failure, blow up your hand, kill yourself, etc.

There are so many issues with what you want to do.
    1) do you plan on rifling your 1" extension? If so, how do you ever plan on having the lands/grooves line up perfectly?
    2) Do you plan on attaching a suppressor? Don't. This hack job will likely explode due to back-pressure.
    3)Gluing a barrel together? Really? You're potentially seeing 38,500 PSI blow up in your face.
    4) Aluminum on a barrel? Come on...this is just too stupid.

There are so many more.

Save your time, money, and life. Don't do that. Buy a barrel blank, give it to a gunsmith, and have him do it. You'll spend about double what the damn gun is worth, but you'll be alive.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time upgrading a Canik TP9. Do it to a weapon that warrants it.

Thank you for your advice, I won't do it then. I just want to do something on my own.
    But, yeah, if I have to go to a gunsmith, I might as well get a CZ P09.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by qtr View Post
    Thank you for your advice, I won't do it then. I just want to do something on my own.
    But, yeah, if I have to go to a gunsmith, I might as well get a CZ P09.
    I definitely understand wanting to do something yourself, but some things should be left to professionals.

The P-09 has absolutely rave reviews. You won't go wrong with that. I've thought about getting one myself.

Be aware though, it is a DA/SA hammer fired vs. your striker fired TP9. It'll take some getting used to if you're not already.

(Northampton County)

Trigger on the PO9 Cz is outstanding ,yes it is different feel than the Canik. I own both along with a PO7 duty with the extended barrel. It would not be difficult to transition to the CZ. Unfortunately it will be years till you see aftermarket accessories for most of the firearms coming out of Turkey. I have personally owned over 20 Turkish pistols in the last 5 years and I am one of the few shops that does modifications for these handguns. The Turk pistols are well made and still very reasonable in price, that will change as they gain popularity in the American market place. I am considering buying another interesting Turk pistol right now, it is a cross between a Beretta, a Cz and a Sig a compact model that is available in DA only and in a DA / SA format. My advise on the barrel mods is to wait for an aftermarket solution or a new model, Canik does listen to it's customers, though there new models that come to the US have to go thought the ATF process first. Your only other option for now is to purchase another pistol. Last I am constantly modifying handguns. Currently I am working on a shortened trigger system in my Canik TP9sa ,but before I would even consider offering this to the firearms community it will require extensive test firing to ensure safety. These things don't happen overnight.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor