Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Realistic Huinting Range for Super Redhawk

What is a realistic hunting range for a scoped Super Redhawk in 44 mag? Obviously, shot placement is key.

Thinking about getting a 7.5" Redhawk for deer hunting. I have not gotten it yet. Would I be better off w/ a 454 or is that not really necessary? I like the 44 and have allot of experience w/ my 629, but not hunting with it. I would intend on handloading and have all the dies & brass for 44 as well.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Realistic Huinting Range for Super Redhawk

I have no problem shooting my S&W 629 44 mag with 8 3/8 barrel out to 100 yards with Hornady gummy tips on whitetails. Now black bears I would like to be alittle closer, 70 yards with a good bullet like a Partition.

(Berks County)

Obviously, shot placement is key.

^This^
    Deer aren't hard to kill. How well you can hold accuracy is the important thing. Where you feel you can put a bullet exactly where you want is your range. The .44 has no problem killing deer if you do your part.

(Bucks County)

The maximum range for a .44 is the distance YOU can hit a pie plate at least 9 times out of 10.....and preferably every time. And that doesn't mean going to the range and resting your gun on a bench for groups at 100 yards then taking a hunting shot while standing. You need to practice on the pie plate in the same positions you will be shooting with in the field.

If iron sited, a revolvers front site covers a lot of your target at 100 Yards, probably covers the front half of a deer. A low powered scope is better.

If you can hit a target every time at 100 yards great....but 50 yards is more realistic for most shooters.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    The maximum range for a .44 is the distance YOU can hit a pie plate at least 9 times out of 10.....and preferably every time. And that doesn't mean going to the range and resting your gun on a bench for groups at 100 yards then taking a hunting shot while standing. You need to practice on the pie plate in the same positions you will be shooting with in the field.

If iron sited, a revolvers front site covers a lot of your target at 100 Yards, probably covers the front half of a deer. A low powered scope is better.

If you can hit a target every time at 100 yards great....but 50 yards is more realistic for most shooters.
    ^^^This^^^
    I'm comfortable hitting a target like that at @ 50-60yds off hand with my Super Blackhawk, so that is the longest shot I would take on a deer. If I added a scope I don't think 100yds would be unreasonable at all. Shot placement and practice at those ranges is the key.

Shooting off a bag on a bench I can get hits out to 100 on steel plates, just not consistently enough for me to try it on a deer. As was said above with open sights it is some guess work at that range as the front sight completely covers the plate.

(Westmoreland County)

The .44 mag is enough gun. The .454 obviously would shoot a little harder and flatter. The exchange is more recoil which some can handle and some can't. You could always load the larger case down to .44 mag levels since you reload. I will say I am a fan of the Casull and hardly ever shoot my .44's anymore. The only deer I ever shot with a handgun was with a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. The range was about 25 yards, it didn't go far with a double lung shot.

Placement is key, everybody knows that. To achieve that one must practice and learn his limitations as it will be different for everyone. Sight in whatever you get and work up a good load off of the bench. Then forget about the bench. Start practicing your field positions and learn your maximum effective ranges. A low power scope will extend this a good bit but it more bulky. So will shooting aids such as shooting sticks, again more to carry around.

(Westmoreland County)

I have shot many deer with my 629DX with a scope using my reloaded 200gr XTP over 24.4gr of VV N-110. This load chronographs at about 1700fps from my 6+" barrel. I've never had to shoot 'em more than once....and I've always shot 'em in the boiler room. I have all the confidence in the world to shoot 'em out to 100 yards. But, the 100 yard shots would be from a sold rest (tree, post etc.) A 25yd or 50 yard shot can be done off had as long as you practice it....and I mean more than a few rounds of six shots. When I go to the range I shoot at least 50 rounds, if not more when the 44 mag comes along.

(Luzerne County)

My scoped SRH is sighted dead on at 100 yards. To date, the longest shot I've taken was at 75 yards.

(Westmoreland County)

Nice groups Steve!!!

(Luzerne County)

The orange dot is 3" in diameter, to give you a perspective on the group size.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast